Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:35 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Trevor Patterson
Default Fairford Steam Rally Closed

Just been seen this information, another show bites the dust.

FAIRFORD STEAM RALLY & SHOW

It is with regret that the Directors and members of the organising Committee have had to make the sad decision to close Fairford Steam Rally & show.

This decision has not been made lightly, but after several years of making a loss and the cancellation of the Sunday at the 2015 show which resulted in a substantial loss, it was very difficult to see a way forward, and run any future show.

Finally the Directors and Committee would like to express their thanks to all helpers, exhibitors and all who have helped in any way and to all the people who have remained so loyal to the show over the last 46 years

Directors and Committee
FSR Ltd.

http://www.fairfordsteamrally.com/

Trevor
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd October 2015, 02:23 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: James

Going to be honest, i am actually glad in some respects since as soon as it left its original showfield in the parkland, it lost it's character. The recent ones which i did not attend were a shadow of its former self.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd October 2015, 06:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James

Fairford Rally was special to me...

As many members know, I suffer from Parkinson’s. When I first became ill, about ten years ago, I was very frightened of what the future held for me. Needless to say traction engines took something of a back seat at that point; everything in my life changed and I had to accept nothing would ever be as it was before. Very slowly I have got my world sort of back on track again and a few years ago I decided the time was right to visit a rally again. The rally I attended was, I think, the last Fairford show at the original location. Lots of people were there who I knew and I really enjoyed the event; there was a very special atmosphere with engines in the park setting. It was a significant event for me, as well as being a very good rally it marked my continued interest in road steam. I also visited and enjoyed the show in the 80s and 90s. Many thanks to the people who put the event on over the years, I hope you are all proud of what you achieved and do not feel too sad at this news. Reflective and philosophical perhaps, but life moves on, whether you like it or not.

Michael
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Trevor Ives

One of the few rallies not completely dominated by yellow jackets.
I had a great time last year and especially this year.
Had dozens of kids from 3 to 92 riding and steering my 1/2 scale.
Had a queue at one stage.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:49 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 2 View Post
One of the few rallies not completely dominated by yellow jackets.
Really?

Must have just been buzzing around me then. We were not able to move without getting shouted down this year.

That aside, its sad to see this event shut down. Lots of effort went into trying to make this work, but they never recovered from Foot & Mouth, Bad Weather and of course the move to Poulton.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th October 2015, 08:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Richard Morris

Very sad to read this. The Directors and Committee are to be congratulated for putting in so much effort to make this event work and for working together so well as a team. We've had a great time in recent years, being made to feel so welcome too and many favourable comments from the public. Such a shame the weather has played such a significant role in depriving many people from this very enjoyable rally in the future.
Thanks all,
Richard.