Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Vince Hawkins
Confused Bristol docks event

I have been informed that any form of steam event at Bristol docks for this weekend coming has been cancelled.
This is due to a lack of organising.

Vince
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th September 2012, 02:52 AM
Banned

Full Name: Tom Bowden

Instead of going to Bristol, drive a bit further west down the M5 and carry on a little bit further to Tavistock where the Robey Trust is opening it's Work's to the public for the first time in two years !

We will probably have three engines in steam including our Tritandem and the prototype Robey 3 point roller 32387/1913. Also on view is the ongoing restoration to ex Senna Robey Tractor 31821/1913.

We will be giving working demonstrations of our stationary engines in operation, engine restoration, slide shows and a sales stand. Refreshments are also available at the Works and there is ample parking in nearby Pixon Lane car Park. Admission to the event is FREE and there will be Trailer Rides available for a small charge.

The event will definately be held as I organised it ! as long as we do not get three feet of snow. The event is this coming weekend 8th & 9th September and will be open from 1030 to 5pm on both days.

To find your way to the Works, see our website at www.therobeytrust.co.uk

Hope to see you there !

Regards,
Tom Bowden.
tel: 01752 691072 for further info.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th September 2012, 07:19 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

I can recommend going for a look at the Robey Trust, worth seeing, far more than I expected. :-)
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th September 2012, 10:15 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Phillip Morland-Jones

Evening everyone!

yes, Apologies due, we wont be holding an event this coming weekend, however the three of us are hoping that with the winter nights will provide some more time to face the problems that holding an event in the now radically changed docks will present, and we can put on something in 2013. If anyone feels they want to get involved, donate time or even just moral support please feel free to email bristolterally-at-gmail

For anyone who was planning on heading down the M shed train will be running and i can recommend a visit to Bristol Doors open day - a great chance to see some rarely seen sights behind closed doors in Bristol, including the Underfall yard with original blacksmiths shop and the Clifton rocks railway (which you can get to by vintage bus!) http://www.bristoldoorsopenday.org/ for more info on the venues you can visit.

Also Carters steam fair are present at Victoria Park in Bath for the first time and well worth a visit on what may be a rare sunny weekend.

Thanks.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th September 2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

I am sorry to hear that the Bristol event is off due to problems organising it which do not appear to be the fault of the organisers. Two points which I would like to make, firstly, this particular weekend in September is when English Heritage stages it's Heritage Open Days, we are part of that event this year. To be honest, as the event is national, it is bound to impact on the attendances at local rallies etc especially as the HOD events require free admission as a prerequisite. Secondly, this is the first time that I have organised a event and for anyone who has not done so before, it requires a lot of time and effort. I was very lucky at Tavistock in as much as I got approval from the Robey Trust Board for my proposals very, very quickly. And, I set out well beforehand what I was going to do and I circulated it to the local members and I requested volunteers to help to run the event and everyone has offered to help in some way or another and the response has been brilliant.

Without the goodwill of others, the event would have been dead in the water. However, besides organising the event I did the Publicity as well and once again I have had to rely on the goodwill of the local press to publicise the event.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed that we have a good attendance !!
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th September 2012, 06:22 AM
Engineer

Full Name: mark vine

Firstly, Phillip, dont give up with your event, I am sure it will all work out, given time and planning, perhaps you may go and visit those on here who help run events ,for ideas and ways of getting over the hurdels that exist for the safety of others, so that we can enjoy our hobby.
Secondly good luck Tom with your event for the weekend, looks like you have the one thing that makes an event complete, sun. Without you, our hobby would be much poorer, without the effort you all put in during the 12 months of the year too put on these events, I salute you all.

Mark.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th September 2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark vine View Post
Firstly, Phillip, dont give up with your event, I am sure it will all work out, given time and planning, perhaps you may go and visit those on here who help run events ,for ideas and ways of getting over the hurdels that exist for the safety of others, so that we can enjoy our hobby.
Secondly good luck Tom with your event for the weekend, looks like you have the one thing that makes an event complete, sun. Without you, our hobby would be much poorer, without the effort you all put in during the 12 months of the year too put on these events, I salute you all.

Mark.
Thank you Mark for your kind comments, they are much appreciated and make our efforts worthwhile.

Regards,

Tom.