Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th November 2016, 01:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: James Littlewood
Default Rare German whistle

Before it goes on eBay, I am advertising here on Facebook an extremely rare piece.

This is an original German steam whistle. As you can see it is all one piece with an internal valve, steam flows in through the bottom. As it's German, the connection is metric however it is far from difficult to create a suitable adapter. It also needs a stable place to be mounted.

If you want to be heard coming, to be unique, or just to own something special, this is for you.

This has been cleaned up by a previous owner and unfortunately has been sandblasted whilst still in one piece. This means that on the outside it's a perfectly good piece to look at, though if you wished to use it, you would need to dismantle and clean it - not a lengthy or complicated job at all, however. Unless it sells beforehand we do plan to dismantle and clean it and put it back together, before recording it being blown on steam.

These are extremely rare - over the last few years I have only ever seen two German whistles of any description up for sale, including this one. It is quite a heavy item so will require either collection or courier.

Currently it is at the workshop in West Yorkshire where my locomotive is located so if it was required to be collected it would have to wait until the locomotive was delivered to me in a week or two, maybe longer.

I am willing to entertain sensible offers for this piece. If you require this to be couriered to you, you will be required to pay the full cost of this.

Myself and my German colleagues have performed some extensive research, and based upon the information we have we know that this was removed from a locomotive at Saalfeld, and have substantiated reason to believe that it was removed from a Baureihe 95 locomotive, the monstrous 2-10-2 tank locomotive type. There are two stereotypical types of German whistle, a hooter and a high pitched one, and this is the latter. Being one of the two most common types of whistle they were fitted to much more besides the BR95s, an example of the whistle in use is shown well by this diminutive tender engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oIJLYErZI4

For further photos and to discuss prices etc please PM. I have further photos from just about every imaginable angle so if you require them please let me know.

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd November 2016, 03:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: James Littlewood

This has now been swapped with a different example with the railway museum at the old Heilbronn roundhouse and will be fitted to a static loco that would have carried one in service. What goes around...!