Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th April 2014, 10:44 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Marriner
Default Wallis and Steevens Live-in-van (for sale) 1895

I have decided to put both my steam engines up for sale and my Wallis live-in-van to finance another (3 speed) steam related project, so it is with some reluctance that I am looking to speak with anyone who might be interested.

This advert is for my Wallis and Steevens live-in-van which was built about 1895

This is quite a large live-in-van which slept up to 6 when built (3 bunks each side of a central divider at the rear of the van).

The van sits on Wallis and Steevens Traction Engine style wheels and very substantial axels and springs, which has led to some thinking it might have been a large wagon and then built into a van later, however the ride inside when being towed would show it was a van from new, as it is very comfortable on the road (which I guess an unloaded wagon would not be). A demonstration of the ride quality is - I fitted two oil lamps with thin glass shades when I first built the van and the glass shades have never broken.

The history I am aware of is as follows. The van was in a copse and owned by a hurdle maker in Owslebury, Winchester, from 1918. The said hurdle maker set up shop with a WW1 ambulance with the rear wheel removed and belted to his saw bench and he lived in the van until he passed on in the late 70's. The van was then purchased by a local farmer and used as a tack store until I purchased it in the early 90's.

The van towed well for many miles behind my Wallis roller and has been equally happy behind my Fowler since. It is my understanding that Wrights of Alton likely built the van for Wallis and Steevens, I understand from looking at factory records that this was often the case.

The van has large original jaws at the front and rear, connected by large iron bolts which pass any load towed to the rear of the van away from the wooden chasses, stright to the engine draw bar. the steering from the forecarrage is looped over the draw bar from the turntable.

The interior of the van was destroyed by a fire, when still a tack store (before my purchase) and when I purchased the van I built the present interior layout to suit my family needs at the time

Give me a call or drop me a line if you would like to express an interest or to find out more details

Thank you.

Dave Marriner 07785 276907