Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th May 2019, 08:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jimmy Vardy
Default Bill Targett Memorial Steam Rally, Hampshire May 2019.

A Charitable 2 day event in aid of Wessex Cancer Trust & Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance, with just over 20 full size steam and similar number of Miniatures, a good turnout of Tractors, Stationary Engines, Cars, Commercials and Military Vehicles and various other exhibitors.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th May 2019, 08:59 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Tutt

Was all going so well 'til the rain came! I have an almost identical set of pictures so won't duplicate yours. I'll just add this one.

#3  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th May 2019, 12:09 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Barham

What is the story with Berkswell ? was she in steam? No wish to intrude on private affairs, so only need to know what is in public domain..if that makes sense.

#4  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th May 2019, 06:35 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Ben Tiratsoo

Thanks for the photos and taking time to post them Jimmy and Bob - especially the ones of the Garrett BJ 3282 and Fowler TK 6141.

Roger, Berkswell was in steam and was seen moving around the rally site.

Ben.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th May 2019, 10:26 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiratsoo View Post
Thanks for the photos and taking time to post them Jimmy and Bob - especially the ones of the Garrett BJ 3282 and Fowler TK 6141.

Roger, Berkswell was in steam and was seen moving around the rally site.

Ben.
Thanks to Bob for coming to the rescue with photo of Stuarts Garratt, I did take two photos of her one I put in Albums but somehow missed it out when posting Thread.
As regards Rogers query regarding `Berkswell` I have a photo which shows a chap on the footplate about to light a fire in her although I did not see her driving around on the Saturday Ben would I am sure be correct in having seen her moving.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 06:11 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Douglas Hynd

I do not know the full story, but was told Berkswell was being loaned to the Bicknells whilst their Marshall was being overhauled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 06:53 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Ben Tiratsoo

She was indeed moving but I know nothing about the engine as I have never heard of or seen Berkswell before. If anyone would care to shed some light on her that would be grand.

Ben
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 10:42 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Tutt

The last time I photographed "Berkswell" was at St Agnes in 2003!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 08:18 PM
Engineer

A couple more photos I took of Fowler `Berkswell` one shows chap getting ready to light up, also a photo different to photo posted with others that showed her with Governor Belt on this shows her without for some reason.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 11:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Barham

Thanks Jim for the posts, last I heard it was out of action requiring some boiler/ Firebox work,, I was suprised to see its photo, also kicking myself for not heading south Bob, I last took a photo of Berkswell in 1964, or 5. Ben the engine was owned by a Mr Arnold, agricultural contractor and Located at his premises in Back Lane Berkswell, near Coventry. apparently , according to an old posting here there was another engine at the same site which was scrapped. In a barn on the premises was a (Marshal possibly) drum on huge wooden wheels and various old tractors.. I got involved as a 12year old through Lew Beddoes through Coventry Model engineering Society. There was also a Mr Smith, a fitter at Coventry Engine shed. They were restoring the engine but Mr Arnold still owned it The Govenor is from Elsa , I recognise it from the brazing repair job on the body of the govenor and the brazed pulley. Ted Sansom had given it to me as he was fitting a pickering govenor to Elsa, I transported it on my t - rusty butchers bike from Hinckley to Berkswell. . I believe Mr Smiths son did a lot of the welding repairs to the tender and either he or his son eventually owned the engine. .I remember a patch on the firebox on left arount foundation ring area.
Not sure when Mr Arnold aquired the engine, I believe the corrugated iron barn is still standing or seems to be from google maps.

Picture taken earlier with Mr Beddows & Mr Smiths grandson, possibly its subsequent owner. The occasion its first steaming for I don't know how many years. 1964 or there abouts, could have been later, will check