Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 04:43 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Trevor Bradberry
Default Sentinel/Garrett Grease Nipples

I'm after about 6 grease nipples for my Garrett wagon which were also used on Sentinels.
They have a 1/4 BSP thread on the bottom end and a 7/8 whitworth thread on the end where the grease gun fits?
I'm also after 3 older style Kingfisher No.2 grease cups with the spring clip in the base and flat tag in the lid which locks into the spring stopping the cap from coming off? These have a 1/8 bsp thread on them?
Any help at all would be appreciated. Cheers Trev
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 07:22 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Trev,

These type of nipples were also fitted to my Eagle Trailer.

Short of making some, we couldn't find any so have fitted the later flat hexagonal fitting type.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 08:29 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Joe Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Trev View Post
I'm after about 6 grease nipples for my Garrett wagon which were also used on Sentinels.
They have a 1/4 BSP thread on the bottom end and a 7/8 whitworth thread on the end where the grease gun fits?
I'm also after 3 older style Kingfisher No.2 grease cups with the spring clip in the base and flat tag in the lid which locks into the spring stopping the cap from coming off? These have a 1/8 bsp thread on them?
Any help at all would be appreciated. Cheers Trev
Trev,

Have you got a picture? I'm racking my brains here and think there might be something in it somewhere. If I can think of anyting I'll obviously post back on here.

Joe
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 09:01 AM
Apprentice

Sorry but I don't have permission to upload pictures at the moment.
Trev
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 09:12 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Joe Black

Email joe@seddonandblack.co.uk if easier.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2011, 09:40 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

This type of nipple has not been in common use since before the 2nd world war. They are commonly fitted to commercial vehicles up to the late 1920's, but seemingly not after.

We had two very tired ones surviving on our trailer, and managed to source the promise of another 2 or 3 via our contacts in the steam and veteran lorry worlds.

Given we were still 10 or so short, and didn't have a grease gun we decided to go the more modern route.

I've never had one in bits, but I'm not convinced that there is a non return in them, if so thay are not as good as the later types.

Can anyone confirm? Perhaps the Highwayman, I expect you have them on your Standard?
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th July 2011, 03:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
This type of nipple has not been in common use since before the 2nd world war. They are commonly fitted to commercial vehicles up to the late 1920's, but seemingly not after.

We had two very tired ones surviving on our trailer, and managed to source the promise of another 2 or 3 via our contacts in the steam and veteran lorry worlds.

Given we were still 10 or so short, and didn't have a grease gun we decided to go the more modern route.

I've never had one in bits, but I'm not convinced that there is a non return in them, if so thay are not as good as the later types.

Can anyone confirm? Perhaps the Highwayman, I expect you have them on your Standard?
Just spotted this, and can confirm that there is a non return valve, it's a simple ball and spring mounted in a 3/8" diameter tube with a 'semi closed end' ie a small hole in the end, this sits in a hole in the large threaded end of the nipple and is retained by the ends of the hole being crimped in, it's easier to see than to describe, and naturally the valves tend to leak by.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th July 2011, 02:45 AM
Apprentice

I can confirm what the Highwayman has posted that they do have a spring loaded ball that stops ?? the grease coming back out.
I only really need two to complete the rear axle assembly (more would allow me to replace a few of the dodgy ones I already have) and 3 x Kingfisher No2 pressed steel Grease cups. Any parts would be appreciated. I was planning on getting a few CNC machined but it's not worth it for just a couple.
Cheers Trev