Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 07:04 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Very sad....... hardly the way to encourage youngsters.

Jim
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 07:55 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Les Riley

It does seem a little sad and short-sighted.
The last two rallies that we have been to this year both had a 'ride around the arena' or 'have a steer' session both for adults and kids.
All they asked for was a donation in the charity pot.
Quite the reverse situation. There were some very fired up youngsters dragging parents/grandparents towards the ring!
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 08:10 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Trevor Ives

I was at Evesham rally where they had an eight year old towing a range rover with a 4" in the ring.
Also had a have a go session with visitors steering in the ring.
Not a yellow jacket in sight.
Not going to Cerney as you cannot move without a yellow jacket in front.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 08:27 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Elijah Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJ2225 View Post
Very sad....... hardly the way to encourage youngsters.

Jim
Very sad indeed. My enthusiasm for this hobby has largely been encouraged by the 'public steering' opportunities that I had when I was younger, they allow a bit of access for those who may not have had the opportunity to get up on an engine before. I think having a ride around on 'Sir Douglas' with my father at Weeting? In the 90's pretty much had me hooked!!
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 12:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.
Exclamation

Personally, I had a very enjoyable weekend with my engine on the saw bench, with our steward Colin Cracknal being most helpful, despite being 87 years only and just had a unsuccessful hip op. The issue over payment etc, from what we were told earlier in the year, was not his, but one that "rammed" (as it was put to me) home by the the powers that be. I do know a few years ago the commercial vehicles got up set, and last year the military got upset, (as did Natel Taylor) with one guy (who was named, as the chairman but this may not be correct) saying I have sorted out the Commercials, I have sorted out the military, now I am going to sort the ruddy steam out, further telling Natel that he did not want or need steam engines at "his" rally. This year there was one steward in a blue hat that was rude and offensive to Bill Middledich, and who also was very blunt and pushy towards people who were forced to move. This one man course a lot of upset, and I think should be removed from the rally team asap for the benefit of both the show and exhibitors! I understand words were spoken between Colin and this steward. Latter on in the day when there was a steam parade this steward in a blue hat then walked down the engine line, and abruptly told people that had to get in the ring "NOW" as there was to be a parade of the model steam engines, and any one telling him they couldn't due to a lack of steam was told they could as they had 10 mins, and that is all they needed. . . . . I made my self busy sawing up planks! (No i don't mean ones wearing blue halts on their heads )

Regarding the movement, we was told on the Saturday, that movement was allowed, but was restricted to the degree that no movement was permitted around the trade stalls and stationary engines, where the walk ways get crowded. (same as the previous few years) which makes a whole lot of sense to me, how ever the past two years, there has been a deff turn for the worse with H&S being forced down hard. Weather this comes with new blood on the committee or not, I am not in a position to state. All none necessary Movement was suspended for a while Sunday morning following heavy rain, allegedly at the request of the land owner, however the steward in the blue had stuck and had a go at any one who was moving.

Most of the stewards have been, were and are, very helpful, polite, and hardworking, but nearly all are in their latter years of life, and are struggling to find new fresh blood to come and help out. I think with Long Melford (as with another Suffolk Rally that has gone down hill over the years) it is a case of one rotten apple spoiling the lot, and unless people are willing and able to find the time to help out and join the FMPS and help run this once fantastic big rally, then it will continue to decline, which is a shame, as in 2011, it was the biggest rally for shear number of exhibitors in Suffolk. People complaining among themselves or winging in private do that bring about any useful change.

I can only comment as I find, and I enjoyed myself, all be it, it did seam a little strange not Having Natel there, and some of the model people who were moaning, would moan about anything, including the condition of the grass, the brightness of the sun, and the coldness of the water, but in all seriousness there was many people who were unhappy, and on a whole, it was decided that there was a lot less exhibits there than in the past, with the same name cropping up several times who was to blame, but this might just be ill feeling it may be true, not my place to comment on that.

Regarding children, this was the excuse for rearranging the stationary engine pens, stating they could not have children in the stationary engine enclosure. If I have ever been stopped in the past, I have always told the person that I am fully insured to carry passengers, of any age, regardless of what they may say, and if they have a issue, best they place it at the hands of my insurance company, which has lead to one or two heated chats, but where I have got my way. It seams who ever has taken over the H&S of this show in the last 3 years has gone Health and Safety mad!

It is a real shame that this fantastic show has taken a nose dive, and I hope that the reason for it can be ousted and normality returns and the show can carry on and continue to grow once more.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 02:20 PM
Engineer

Full Name: richard spooner

very sad state of affairs. I did not go this year but being born in that village have every intention of support Colin again next year as I found him a lovely chap. He know my old chap and we had a great chat last year of memories old. Shame others don't appear to have the same personality, they could all learn from Colin.

Lets not loose another rally we have to work through these issues and resolve then.

Richard
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 02:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterbrett View Post
It is a real shame that this fantastic show has taken a nose dive, and I hope that the reason for it can be ousted and normality returns and the show can carry on and continue to grow once more.
I had a chat with a steward last year in the ring about movements and Health & Safety. He blamed the crack downs on H&S but couldn't explain at what point a previously acceptable and managed risk (engine movements) had become unsafe and the reasons for this change in the assessment

I think the problem may be as has been said an older committee who are getting HSE forced upon them from the local authority (have a look at the last to FMPS magazines on their website) and are doing a mixture of overdoing it and accepting without question what they are being told by the authorities rather than asking sensible questions and explaining the what are seen as big risks can be successfully reduced without resorting to drastic changes.

Its a big site and a nice setting, it'd be a shame for it to fold over what are silly problems really. Plenty of rallies get it right but often fresh blood is needed, though sadly it is not always available or welcome!
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:05 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

They will find it hard to get fresh blood if they don't encourage youngsters in the first place.

Jim
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.

perhaps if people stopped winging about things, and actually offered to help, then they could bring about a change. If the help is refused, fair enough, the problem is the shows, but in many cases with shows, clubs, and committees, the old ones carry on as no one new offers to help, but as always, many are willing to moan about the few who do try.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

In the spirit you suggest I am going to raise this (Long Melford) at the next EATES committee meeting and see what peoples thoughts are. Mine are that it may be beneficial to the full size and miniature steam exhibitors if the Society offered some assistance (if it is needed) in the running of this section and in dealing with the Health & Safety element associated with it. Not to interfere but just a friendly offer and that is of course if the club wants to try to get involved. Its an idea in my head alone at present, we'll see if it gets any traction

Most clubs and societies organise events, if we all work together and share information I think we can all thrive

It is worth noting though that in some of the non-steam Stationary Engine / Tractor circles there is a degree of resentment towards payments being made to assist steam engines in attending events when they get nothing, this could be a part of the issue at Melford.