Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#51  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

Increasingly it is about telling stories and explaining what and why. I've said before that I have to switch off at certain rallies where there is no programme, no movement, engines lumped together and fathers saying to their children "look at that train, it's called Louise".

The info sheet/board/display when well done is a big step in the right direction, I have one for the wee Wallis and it does make people stop and look.

Education and entertainment are where it's at.
  #52  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Oh dear. I'll be at a train event next weekend.

Watching them start the Dorman 4JO's should be fun. I noticed when last at Boston lodge (where I bumped into Mr Daniels) that standard practice there was to light a steamer. Then when i had enough puff they bump started the infernal combustion thing. Ha ha
  #53  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

I'll see you there - we are going mob handed on the Friday. As for bump starting, we've done it on the TR with Ruston No.5 being shoved down the yard by Talyllyn No.1
  #54  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Pete Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tty69 View Post
Obviously I speak for a small percentage here but having been one of the public attending shows and now having purchased my engine I've been looking at exhibiting once it's done I have these things to say...

From a public point of view I have found that very few owners, both full size or miniature, seem willing to chat about their engines, most people I tried to talk to about their engine and the show and the scene in general just seemd annoyed at the fact I was bothering them and gave very blunt answers and tried to shut the conversation down ASAP and get on with sitting in their chair staring into space. Don't get me wrong, there were a select few that welcomed a nice conversation and loved telling me all about their pride and joy and the rallies ect. But the general feeling I got was that if you weren't an owner then you weren't worth talking to, if this is how all of the young people are treated then I can see why my friends all laugh at my love for steam and say 'it's for grumpy old men' I don't agree with my friends atall but I'm now seeing where they are coming from. That said, everyone on this forum seems to be very nice and I can't wait to meet a lot of you at the rallies I attend!

Now for the engine owner side of things...

Having been looking into next years shows and rallies and deciding which ones to attend I have noticed a pattern. A lot of rallies seem to put a cap on minimum size of engine that are allowed to move on site, a lot I have looked at say no smaller than 3" scale. Which in my eyes is stupid, the amount of 2" engines I see in old rally videos on the internet that I can't seat show snow is unbelievable, if anything I feel the organisers should be encouraging the miniature engine owners to attend instead of pushing them away and saying they can't use them for their intended purpose. That said there may be something that I'm unaware of that is making them do this? If anything the smaller engines are what the public can relate to more and it's more likely what they will be getting if they are considering an engine.

Anyways, that's my 2pence worth, being new to the forum I hope no one takes what I've said the wrong way!
I too have a 2" engine, but I have never had any issue entering a rally due to it's size, perhaps that is due to the limited number of miniature on the rally scene in my area. I would say though that running a 2" from 10 in the morning ill 4 in the afternoon is not the same as steaming a 4" engine, it can be a challenge. I have attended rallies though where I felt organisers wouldn't have been bothered if I turned up or not and have chosen not to return.

The best rallies for me are the ones where I get to chat to lots of interesting folk, yes some times they have no idea about road steam but they are interested mostly. For example, a few weeks ago I spoke with a couple who had known Teddy Boston, had a great half hour chatting to them, gave a very interested chap a shot driving my engine and you could not believe the smile on his face, a lifetime ambition realised he said, took 5 minutes and caused me no grief at all.

One great thing about the miniatures, and the smaller ones in particular, is that children especially can see all the workings, the engines are approachable and the kids can physically see what everything is doing. Yes you get lots of comments about the cuteness of the little bits of coal and the wee bucket, but hey that is life.

When it comes to attending rallies I have to agree with you generally. I have had some good conversations with engine owners on occasions but often they seem to be unapproachable sat up on their engines and striking up any sort of conversation can be very hard. I appreciate that rallies are also social events for owners and that they have to enjoy themselves too, but a bit of chat with the public would help sustain a wider interest in our passion.

I only developed an interest in steam though attendance at rallies with my father as a kid and there are fewer and fewer folk left with memories of working steam, so perhaps it is inevitable that the number of rallies will fall in the future, as the number of folk who have a personal experience of steam diminishes??
  #55  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson

Mostly people find it easier to sit behind a computer and moan about rallies here or on soicial media or write squit in the rear end of some of the better publications than get on with things either running rallies or clubs. There was a time when people just leaned into things a bit.
  #56  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:24 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wseward View Post
We always have a A borad out with our engines and they get an awful lot of people reading them but we are still very happy to answer anyones questions as well.

Hallelujah, a sensible owner who has put the board away from the engine so that others can get a clear photo of the engine. I wish more people showed the same degree of common sense!
  #57  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bruce Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Hallelujah, a sensible owner who has put the board away from the engine so that others can get a clear photo of the engine. I wish more people showed the same degree of common sense!
Is that with wet film, or digital ????

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have got an electrical problem !
  #58  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:44 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Les Riley

So far, I have only been showing my engine as 'work in progress' but I have found that an info board does help to start conversations. Mine also had some parts bolted on for the kids to feel. The big gear seemed to fascinate them!
Very basic and easily movable, an old sh*t house door and the trusty Workmate.

#59  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Karl Goult

One big problem with the smaller rallys, monoplies. A well known rally up north with two breweries in the town, a local man has a train shaped woodfired pizza oven which does great value and tasting pizzas, even has a whistle!
As far as I am informed he wanted to go to said rally but was told couldnt be near the beer tent as the guy who does the bar has two catering vans serving in my view substandard rubbish. The pizza man was then told he could park up in the middle of nowhere and miss most of the evening trade due to his alloted location.
Small local rallies are being ruined by monopolies eiter in the trade side or the committe side with the 'click' running the show.

I only make a point of going to one rally uphere, Hunton a great rally that has stuck to its tradition isnt ruined by tat and has some movement they even had a time trail couse in the main ring for the classic car boys to bash at even some steamers had a go!
Proper rally with a sat night run to the pub.
  #60  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:30 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: John Garton
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourceedee View Post
One big problem with the smaller rallys, monoplies. A well known rally up north with two breweries in the town, a local man has a train shaped woodfired pizza oven which does great value and tasting pizzas, even has a whistle!
As far as I am informed he wanted to go to said rally but was told couldnt be near the beer tent as the guy who does the bar has two catering vans serving in my view substandard rubbish. The pizza man was then told he could park up in the middle of nowhere and miss most of the evening trade due to his alloted location.
Small local rallies are being ruined by monopolies eiter in the trade side or the committe side with the 'click' running the show.

I only make a point of going to one rally uphere, Hunton a great rally that has stuck to its tradition isnt ruined by tat and has some movement they even had a time trail couse in the main ring for the classic car boys to bash at even some steamers had a go!
Proper rally with a sat night run to the pub.
I'm not defending the situation but if the rally organisers have extracted a few thousand pounds from a caterer then he is going to want to ensure that he is given a fair chance to recoup those thousands plus a wage for himself and his employees. I'm sure that all those on here will have their own ideas about the rights and wrongs of this system!