Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2015, 11:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden
Default Honiton Hill Rally 2015.

Can anyone tell me what is new at Honiton Hill this year, please?
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 07:39 AM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

Why not go there and see?

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:25 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

I am hardly likely to waste three gallons of diesel and £17 admission for two of us and spend 3 hours driving only view engines that I have seen before. I have done that in the past. I once drove for two hours each way to go to a rally only to find that with the exception of one engine that I had seen them all before.

You John possibly live closer to the rally than I do and possibly you get paid for your services for the day. I do not and I have to be careful what I spend.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 12:40 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: No Thanks!

Thomas,

I usually ignore your posts because, frankly, you irritate me. However, on this occasion I thought I would reply with a few observations.

i. "4040" and others went to great lengths to entice you to the WESES event, but nevertheless you didn't attend (you missed a great show, by the way).

ii. Google Maps indicates Honiton Hill ("HH") is a 110 mile round trip for you. You must drive very slowly if this is going to take an hour longer than Google Maps indicates it can be achieved in.

iii. If your diesel vehicle only manages such a low "miles per gallon" figure, you should think about procuring a replacement.

iv. HH is a 300 mile round trip for me. I will be going rain or shine (and regardless of the engines which are expected to attend). Why? Because I know it will be a brilliant day/weekend whatever.

I look forward to seeing you there.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 04:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

This summer I have been to Abbey Hill, Nutwell, Langport, Boconnoc, Stithians and will be going to Honiton Hill and the Great Dorset. I have never asked for payment for any of the commentary that I have done since 1989, and have only been given help towards my expenses on two or three occasions, again not asked for. In all other cases I have covered my own expenses. I attend rallies and do the commentary because I enjoy it. This summer I have received a lot of help, particularly from friends at Boconnoc and Stithians, for which I have been very grateful. Oh, and so far as health is concerned, I suspect that my current position is rather worse than yours. I'll say no more.

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 05:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Charlie Elston

Why is it people are always looking for something "new". and then when someone turns up with a new build, they are up in arms about it. Don't they realise that there are only so many engines in existence, there's not some great factory churning them out for the benefit of the armchair enthusiast.
For my money its great to engines in steam, no matter how many times I've seen them before. They are all unique, as are their stories and histories. And for me, that's good enough!
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 06:57 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Vicky Rowe

John no need to explain yourself to a certain person we all know what a brilliant job you do when you are in the commentary box as a hobby not a job!
There's always one that has to moan about EVERYTHING !!
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 07:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: keith flinton

agree entirely John if we were to charge for our commentating services we would never do another, we enjoy doing the job!!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Neil Armstrong

There's a shuttle bus? That's new

Who cares if its the same engines as elsewhere, you don't attend that many rallies as it is!

As for travel, Mum travelled all the way to Engine hill the other week by train & bus from Torbay & back again, on her own & she's in her 60s!
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2015, 02:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: WAYNE SUMMERS

Wow we , There will be the "usual" local engines in attendance + 3 engines new to HHR and 3 returning to HHR (not there last year) 17 engines booked at present + a car or two!

I am sorry Tom but people like to see ALL/ANY engines, and maybe something different from just steam engines!. To get lots of new and never seen engines is very expensive - we are not predominantly a steam rally, we have lots of working displays and commentry & we also have had a few wet years causing funds to be limited - although we like to think we pay engines as fairly as possible and NO-ONE would ever leave site without their agreed payment!. We are also not a business so its not run purely to maximise profits which is what hopefully makes it fair, friendly & laid back.

In light of this you appear to begrudge paying admission & even fuel & time to get there!, remember if all the helpers/organisers got paid (& comentators!!!) no-one would afford the entry fee's involved.

Wayne