Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th May 2017, 08:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Douglas Hynd

Mutley's roller looks great. Weather good today after a damp start.
Weather for tomorrow very promising.
Douglas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2017, 10:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hall

Great little show but didn't take a single photo, loads to see and good to see the wood sawing exhibitions.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th May 2017, 06:55 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Ben Tiratsoo

Fantastic weekend at a great event.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th May 2017, 08:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Petra

Once again a great show and one of my favs.

Few pics of the line ups

We always get a good selection of full size

Last a shot of Sundays line up, think we had about 21 or so minatures and around 10-12 full size more if you counted the ones in the sawing area.
Spot the 6" gold medal convertable in the foreground on its maiden outing but now as a roller, awsome stunning bit of kit.

Keep meaning to ask someone about the history behind Bill Targett as its always attended well by the full size lads, so it must mean he was someone special in the steam scene, anyone care to enlighten me as theres nothing on the website about him ?
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 08:23 AM
Engineer

Regarding Bill Targett himself.....

He was an engineer on the harbour tugs in Southampton. The father of the skipper of the tug that I am engineer on in Southampton, spent 20 years sailing with Bill. From the stories I have been told by the tug crews and from the lads that sailed with him, he was a prolific member of the Hampshire/ South Coast preservation movement. When he was on the tugs they were steam powered - coal when he started and subsequently converted to oil sometime around the 60s as my skipper's dad started in 71 I think on the last oil fired steam tug.

I am new to the steam scene (I was crewing for Mr Maggs on the Garrett "Katrina" at the event) so only know the stories from blokes that sailed with Bill. I don't know if he had his own engine, but I'm certain I've been told that as he was a steam engineer, he helped maintain a fair few as well as championing the cause for all types of vintage machinery.

I hope that helps to get the ball rolling as I would also love to hear more about him.

Ben
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 08:24 AM
Engineer

Oh and Andy's (Mutley) roller is bloody lovely.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 09:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Sean Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiratsoo View Post
Regarding Bill Targett himself.....

He was an engineer on the harbour tugs in Southampton. The father of the skipper of the tug that I am engineer on in Southampton, spent 20 years sailing with Bill. From the stories I have been told by the tug crews and from the lads that sailed with him, he was a prolific member of the Hampshire/ South Coast preservation movement. When he was on the tugs they were steam powered - coal when he started and subsequently converted to oil sometime around the 60s as my skipper's dad started in 71 I think on the last oil fired steam tug.

I am new to the steam scene (I was crewing for Mr Maggs on the Garrett "Katrina" at the event) so only know the stories from blokes that sailed with Bill. I don't know if he had his own engine, but I'm certain I've been told that as he was a steam engineer, he helped maintain a fair few as well as championing the cause for all types of vintage machinery.

I hope that helps to get the ball rolling as I would also love to hear more about him.

Ben
B|ill was a true gentleman of steam. He helped when I first started to learn to drive with advice and humour. He had the 15 ton Aveling roller Pegasus at that time. He had driven the Wallis Simplicity which is at Hollycombe for its previous owner and had very definite opinions about it ;-) I remember one day when I was having great difficulty getting stem up in the Simplicity (not helped by feeling jaded after a very convivial night before) him regaling me with stories about how difficult it is to fire and how once, when the injector failed he had to jack the back wheels off the ground, put it in gear and set it going as the pump only works when in gear.

His roller had to go when he was found to have cancer in his throat, but he still came and "chatted" about steam, using one of those kids slate type things with the lift off plastic sheet to clear the writing.

I don;t think the Simplicity has ever been to the rally which is named in Bill's honour and next year by the time it comes around I will be retired.................

Sean
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 11:19 AM
Engineer

Cheers Sean. Like I said, I know lads who sailed with him on the tugs, and not a bad word has been said about him when I have asked questions etc. I have a soft spot for the rally as it rekindled a passion for steam that I hadn't felt since I was very young. I am now lucky enough to help out with a Garrett 4CD showman's tractor and a Fowler roller.

The first engine I ever drove was at the rally a couple of years ago. This was the roller Major Henry. I was in the queue for the public steering having made a donation. I jumped up on the roller and the owner explained the steering etc. Off we went. I asked a couple of questions and his response was, "you don't want to steer, you want a go at driving, so lets swap over". We then spent a happy 45 minutes in the arena messing about!

This year I was crewing on the Garrett and drove up to the owner to say hello. He remembered me from a few years back and I made sure to thank him, as I wouldn't have been where I was without his very kind offer of letting me drive.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 05:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Harris

Previous to Pegasus Bill co owned a wallis advance, Vital Spark. I think it now resides on the Isle of Wight.
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 06:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Petra

Thanks chaps, thats brilliant back ground to Bill and sounds like he was a real loveable character.

I wonder if there are any photos of him kicking about ?

Tags
bill targett