Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th August 2015, 07:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Sanders
Default Shrewsbury steam rally (Onslow park) 30th/31st August 2015

This year looks to be another great show with the rally celebrating 100 years of the Shrewsbury Sentinel works. There will be a special display of Sentinels at the rally and a dedicated ring parade. The day before the rally some of the waggon's will be going on the old test route from the works up the horse shoe pass and then back to the rally field. There is currently around 30 Sentinels booked in with some that have never visited the rally before.

Including the Sentinels there are 102 engines entered into this years show. As well as the great engines that support the rally regularly there will be some new faces this year too, with some engines that have not visited before or for a very long time. Some of these include;

Burrell 3909 'Winston Churchill'

Burrell 3288 'Nancy'

Fowler 9386 'Maid of Cefn Ydfa'

Burrell 3894 'St Brannock'

Mclaren 1534 'Cracker'

Tasker 1697 'Kips'

Marshall 57753 'Duplex Britannia'

Wallis 7269 'Panther'

Aveling 10348 "Walter"

The Fred Parker Steam Portable and stone crusher will also be visiting the rally from the Ironbridge Gorge Museum.

It is also hoped to have Fowler 17212 and Marshall 79087 'Jane' together which has not happened for some time.

Fowler 12906 'Foremost' will be hauling the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway’s locomotive 'Dougal' to the rally. They are likely to be moving the engine from Buttington to the rally on the Saturday which will be an impressive sight.

Alex Sharphouse will also be exhibiting his John Fowler & Co Leeds ltd stand which will feature some of the products the company now manufactures. Also on the stand will be the part built re-creation of the famous B6 Road loco "Talisman". Alex is also bringing his two ploughing engines Wayfarer & Wonderer which will be the first time they have worked together in over 60 years.

The Steam Apprentice Club will be having their annual driving day at the rally field on the Saturday before.

As well as the steam area there are many other interesting sections too.

Tickets for this years show are available online at http://www.shrewsburysteamrally.co.uk Online tickets will beat the queues at the ticket office.

Look Forward to seeing everyone there
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2015, 02:06 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jon Turner

Will be my first time to this one and thoroughly looking forward to it!
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2015, 03:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Tom

Have arrangements changed with 'Dougal'?

I had read on the Welshpool & Llanfair Railways website (http://www.wllr.org.uk/news July 21st) that Mr Glaze was bringing it to the rally with the crane engine, and Joe Walker returning it with 'Foremost' for their gala.

I'm planning roading over Thursday with the Marshall, arriving in the afternoon at some point.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2015, 09:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Sanders

Hedd,

There was talk of the crane engine moving Dougal to the rally field earlier in the year but due to visiting Dorset we would be unable to return the engine to Welshpool. I was informed the other week that the railway had made the decision that 'Foremost' would move Dougal to the rally on the Saturday and then back on the Monday. Nothing had been confirmed with us or the owner of the engine so I am not sure where that write up has come from. Not sure on times of movements but I would imagine 'Foremost'' will arrive at the rally sometime in the afternoon.

I will be around on Thursday so see you there, what route are you taking?

Cheers,

Tom
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2015, 09:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction-Tom View Post
Hedd,

There was talk of the crane engine moving Dougal to the rally field earlier in the year but due to visiting Dorset we would be unable to return the engine to Welshpool. I was informed the other week that the railway had made the decision that 'Foremost' would move Dougal to the rally on the Saturday and then back on the Monday. Nothing had been confirmed with us or the owner of the engine so I am not sure where that write up has come from. Not sure on times of movements but I would imagine 'Foremost'' will arrive at the rally sometime in the afternoon.

I will be around on Thursday so see you there, what route are you taking?

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks for that Tom, as the post was from you, I knew that something must have changed.

Quite a few people have commented to me that they had also read the guff on the Welshpool website.

No disrespect to anyone, but Dougal is a light load for a B6, Buttington - Onslow is not that far, perhaps 12 -13 miles, so an opportunity of only an hour or two for spotting, and the Sentinels float my boat more. I suspect on balance I shall be watching Sentinels on Saturday.

On Thursday we shall be flying up the A53 after picking up the living van from the garden. I suspect this year I shall fancy going through town passed 'The Sentinel' and the oil barons works, under the railway bridge, over the Welsh Bridge and up the Mount. Mrs Jones has provisionally requested a visit to her work in Oxon so the kiddies can see the engine, but this might not happen.

Based on last years run I doubt we shall be at my house to pick the van up much before lunch time, and arrive at the field much earlier than 3 or 4 PM.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th August 2015, 12:07 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Brian Wainwright

Tom, keep a space for Jane next to the Fowler, we will be there. Can we swap for the day too?
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 09:40 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Bailey

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2...ewsbury-event/
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 07:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Ken Milns

I will be heading over tomorrow morning with the GTI Aveling ably assisted by Mr Rosbotham (allong with Miss 1&2 Rosbotham) - waking the oil works on the way past.

Lilly will be following on Friday morining taking the same route.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 08:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew & Margaret Tatton

W6cloggs and me are hoping to fetch 3 on his pram tomorrow ,Neils aveling ,mr woodcocks 6ton roller and rsj portable 27441, two trips don't know whos buying dinner me or Neil ?????
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 09:17 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jack Wakelin

As we are in the area, might be nice to see some engines on the road. Any more detailed routes? We're only up from today till Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk