Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th February 2023, 05:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Flynn
Default 6" Mclaren 10nhp Road Loco

6” Scale McLaren 10 nhp 3 Speed Road Loco for Sale

Built from the Double B Designs/HPM drawings and castings. Engine built over a 14-year period by time served tool maker and a Chartered Engineer. Full Hydraulic and Steam tests, V5 registration, also includes a full set of drawings, firing irons and some spare fire bars.

The engine was built to keep, it was the nearest thing to a full-size engine I could build at the time. No expense was spared in the construction. The parts I could not manufacture in my workshop were made by well known suppliers to the steam restoration market and other markets including:

Bell Boilers, Universal Steam Engineering, Paddock Gears, GTEC Engineering, Barnshaws, J P Precision Engineering, Central Metal Manufacturing, Accurate Laser Ltd and B H Leake.

The engine runs very well, as you would expect from a new machine built to a high engineering standard. There are a couple of items not fitted; boiler lagging and a gear guard. Their provision can form part of any negotiation.

Whilst it is difficult to part with something that has taken so long to build and involved so much of my time, I now own a full-size engine. With the space available at home, the Mac will sit at the back of the workshop unused.

I have a significant number of photos of the build, and a large folder of receipts which total a spend of over £65k, to go with the engine. Costing out what I purchased from the various suppliers, including purchasing a boiler, castings, gear cutting, plate rolling, laser cutting and the hot riveted tender and belly tanks at current prices, is around £80K. This of course does not include any of my time.

I am offering the engine for sale for £98K or near offer. If you are seriously interested in owning a very large miniature, (it weighs nearly 3.5 tons so is like a small full-size tractor), please PM me for a full spec sheet and more photos.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Mac.jpg (219.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6371.jpg (118.9 KB, 142 views)