Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th May 2010, 06:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mark Sawkins
Post As new 4.5" foden c-type

Up for sale is my modelworks kit built 4.5" scale Foden C-type steam lorry.

The Foden was started by TT's very own Julia Old and all her work on it was to a very high standard, i purchased it from her about 85% complete March last year with good intentions to complete by myself after completion of the 4" burrell I was then building.

The burrell took longer than planned so i sent the Foden in November to a company called Lynx Model Works in Mablethorpe to get professionally finished which cost a lot of money.

They completed the engine on my behalf and whilst it was there i got Royal Sun & Alliance to carry out a steam test which all went well, therefore it has 8 years left on the hydraulic test (although it has only just been finished) and a full years steam test.

The Foden returned to Shetland about a month ago and i finally got it out of the crate last weekend, steamed it and it runs very well.

The Foden has had a few modifications done to it while it was at Lynx Model Works to cure a few problems other Modelworks Foden builders where having, these are listed below.

The first one was the crankshaft where there was breaking at the weld where the webs are. This was due to it being welded only on one side and also they weren't drilled and pinned. To solve this problem I had my crankshaft drilled and pinned to take the stress off the welded joints.

The second fault is the rear diff gears. There had been a couple of Fodens with the diff gears stripping! To avoid this the gears on my Foden were replaced with new ones made out of EN8 steel rather than the cast ones that where on originally, this also made the diff run much smoother.

I bought the cylinder cover which was an optional extra as i think it looks better with it.

I also have the drop down side kit which consists of all the metal work for all the hinges and latches so all the purchaser would have to do is get some ash wood and make a wooden frame up which there is instruction for.

The Foden is located in Shetland but I will include delivery to Aberdeen within the price. If necessary I can get it delivered further afield as i have a crate for it to go in to save it getting damaged in transit, as an example I got it from Kent to Shetland for about £500 or your more than welcome to come to Shetland for a few days to steam and collect.

So to sum it up it is an as new lorry with all the known faults ironed out, hydraulic tested for another 8 years, full steam test, professionally finished and the best bit of all, if you don't have any machines at home to make parts, spares can be bought of the shelf pre-made for very reasonable money.

The engine wont be available until after the weekend of 5th and 6th of June as i have it booked in to a little show up here.

The price i have been very unsure about! i have looked around quite a lot lately to see what they are worth and they seem to go for an older model about £16,000 to a new one at about £25,000 now mine is new but i have taking in to account that it is a kit built one which some say make it worth less but personally i think it makes it worth more as parts are so easy to get of the shelf, plus this engine has been professionally finished and i can assure you i am losing a lot of money on it at the price i am selling it for.

So i will start mine at £20,000 but am open to sensible offers

I have included two video clips from the steaming at the weekend and a couple of pictures of the Foden.

For more info you can ring me on 01595 696771 or 07748914031 or just PM me on here.

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae1cbf5agsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsvSyEh43s