Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th May 2008, 02:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Keith Roy Sargeant

Don't worry
he that never tries never does.
He that tries sometimes does
she that tries always does provided he does not mess it up first.
The melter
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th May 2008, 06:22 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Alan Atkinson

I'm sure that your intentions were well meant. It could be that you have been misled.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th May 2008, 07:28 PM
Apprentice

I am sure that your intentions were honourable. I think you have been misled
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th May 2008, 10:20 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Lawrence Weetman

Ever so slightly.

The event, in its 24th year, was almost cancelled last year. The committee is small at around 8 core people. Some of the committee have been working on the festival since close to the time when it began, and to further exasperate problems we don't really get any help from the local council in staging the event - although they're happy to add it to their reasons for people to visit the area.

Last year my dad was responding to an article in the paper, suggesting that the event could be scrapped. He mentioned it to me, and I said I'd help out. I'd had no previous knowledge in classic cars, etc, before other than that passed down by my dad who is an avid bus enthusiast.

We joined the committee in early April 2007, and there were still no vehicle entries whatsoever. We quickly got to work, and managed to scrape together 130 vehicles. This year we decided to start early in December. We sent vehicle passes and details of the event to over 500 car clubs, every transport related museum in the UK and everyone who has exhibited at the event over the past 4 years, as well as visiting other shows to drum up support. Thanks to this, we're 6 weeks off and just passing the 200 vehicles mark.

Last year, Sheila Dibnah got in touch with some suggestions about Fred who, as far as I am aware, attended the event on numerous occassions. I believe Sheila did attend the event last year, but felt that it would be nice if the event could be dedicated to Fred this year to coincide with the unveiling of the statue of Fred. It was Sheila who suggested that Betsy might be able to attend, and we had provisionally arranged transport in case this was viable. Betsy also features on the commemorative brass rally plaques this year.

As far as the event goes, it's not a traditional one at all. It's not a steam fair, it's not specifically a car show. It's an amazing family day out. The massive variety of vehicles that really does interest me and the members of the public, making it an amazing family day out. Working with the organisers over the last year, at such a young age and just before I am going to disappear to University, has been an amazing experience and I've learnt so much. I've been boring my friends with the running commentary on what's coming to the event; it really has been a huge part of my life this year. This hopefully pays off when people notice that I've been adding my own touch to the event too, such as persuading owners of Limosuines, a Replica "Del Boy" Van, DeLorean DMC-12 and a 16-foot tall limosuine to bring their attractions to the event. Not only that, but I have helped to secure the presence of a small passenger hovercraft which will be giving rides out to sea...

The three traction engines (or steam rollers, as one member of the committee pointed out) that have been promised by Fred's old friends would be stunning in themselves. It'd probably be the most of these vehicles we've had attend in one year and I'm chuffed that they've shown an interest... whether Betsy will be able to make it or not, it's quite a big thing for us. And let's not forget that Sheila will be there too chatting to the public.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it makes what I admit was a bit of shameless promotion of our event into something a little bit more personal for you all.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th May 2008, 11:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
It's not the condition of Fred's engines that are stopping them from being exhibited. They are impounded waiting for settlement of Fred's will. I find it hard to believe therefore that anybody could believe they would be attending Tram Sunday.
I do believe that Betsy was not in a fine fettle though, or so the media said, is this true?
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2008, 04:15 PM
Apprentice

Betsy would probably need re-tubing but the Aveling & Porter Colonial tractor is in perfect working order as is the living van.
In the past few years I have noticed a decline in the number of vehicle exhibits at Tram Sunday so I am delighted that somebody is trying to remedy this decline. I wish you every success in your endeavours as there is never a shortage of public at this event.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2008, 05:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Hi

I thought it was something like that, but nice of you to confirm it for me!

Cheers

Dave
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2008, 09:31 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Lawrence Weetman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Betsy would probably need re-tubing but the Aveling & Porter Colonial tractor is in perfect working order as is the living van.
In the past few years I have noticed a decline in the number of vehicle exhibits at Tram Sunday so I am delighted that somebody is trying to remedy this decline. I wish you every success in your endeavours as there is never a shortage of public at this event.
Thatnks for your comments. Me and my dad totally took over the vehicles this year. It's slow, but at least it's steady. Volunteers for these things always seems to be the problem.

I started an event listing on facebook to market the event, and 500 members of the public have already said they're coming or thinking of coming - which is a huge number considering it's only a relatively new marketing outlet and hence a small number of potential visitors on the day.

I hope some of you will be able to come and see how we get on.