Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th March 2015, 07:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Arial West
Default Pickering Governor valve and drawings.

I'm looking for a valve for a Pickering governor valve as per the drawing below. It's to fit my 1925 Marshall S type compound 4nhp. I'm looking for a valve 1" 1/4 in diameter, not 1" 1/2 as drawing. The drawing I've got isn't quite the correct one for my engine. I've got the complete governor assembly already on the engine, and the sleeve is already in the block, just short of the valve.

Also, if anyone has a drawing for the Govenor set up for my engine, It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Arial.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th March 2015, 08:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Neil Thompson

Good evening Arial, Marshall fitted 1 1/2" governor heads with 1 1/4" valves to the 5 ton tractors, i do not know the reason why. The build sheets state 1 1/4" governor so that is what mine and Hedd's is fitted with. If you look at photos of Jingling Geordie it still has its original fitted and is a 1 1/2" head. If you could obtain a valve that was longer than the drawing you could cut and shut the valve with a bit of care. Regards, Neil.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th March 2015, 08:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

John Dunn made two governor valves for our Fowlers from the drawings. Reasonably priced and they work well. He is on TT and I think hes under JDEng or something like that if you look through the members list.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th March 2015, 10:07 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Tractor View Post
Good evening Arial, Marshall fitted 1 1/2" governor heads with 1 1/4" valves to the 5 ton tractors, i do not know the reason why. The build sheets state 1 1/4" governor so that is what mine and Hedd's is fitted with. If you look at photos of Jingling Geordie it still has its original fitted and is a 1 1/2" head. If you could obtain a valve that was longer than the drawing you could cut and shut the valve with a bit of care. Regards, Neil.
Hi Neil.

If anything, I'm probably going to have to lengthen one, as there's hardly any length of rod sticking through. I think I'm right in saying that Moonraker never had a governor until recently, and was only fitted for its aesthetic appearance. I've been told that all 1" 1/4 Pickering valves are the same? As for cutting it down to the lengths on the drawing, those measurements are wrong as well. The drawing I have is for a slide valve tractor. This is why I'm after the correct one!
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th March 2015, 08:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Arial

Sorry, missed this one.

As Neil notes mine is fitted with governors, though in my case they were not fitted when new. In fact I don't think it ever had any.

The cylinder casting had been machined to accept a governor head (a blanking plate was fitted), and it was fitted with the screwed insert as shown on your drawing. The pulley was also machined on the crank.

If I were you I would not worry so much about a drawing. Assuming yours has a screwed insert, I would attempt to remove it and measure it, along with its depth in the cylinder casting. The dims of the valve and rod can then soon be interpolated, using the drawing you have. If it wont come out, you will need to measure it in situ.

With respect to making a valve, ours is a longer one cut and shut as Neil suggests, being a bronze casting it was silver soldered. From memory the thread has been extended into both parts of the valve to add a bit of strength.

If you cannot find one, I would suggest that this is the ideal part to make a pattern from using a low cost 3D printer such as the one Dave Worthington has been showing on here.

I sold two governors not so long ago to some Wallis men down south. One had a valve, though I thing it was only 1inch diameter. Perhaps he could comment as he is on here.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th March 2015, 07:57 PM
Engineer

Yes, I think you're right about the drawing. I'm wondering if a drawing ever existed? There are only 3 other compound 4nhp s types in existence (according to steam scenes) and they're all rollers and none have governors.
I'm quite surprised no one has a valve or complete assembly that they don't need and would sell?
Mr Brown and I have had a fair go at getting the sleeve out, and it's not for moving, and I don't really want to break the lugs off if I don't need to. I could make quite a good drawing with it in place.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th March 2015, 08:59 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

If your governor was a standard design of double beat valve , then if you were to study the drawing of a similar valve you could design your valve according to the same principles and adapted to your port dimensions .
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:04 AM
Engineer

Full Name: bill grindrod

Hi sorry to but in
I m looking for a valve for the govener on my gainsboro light have got the housing but no valve
am pretty shure and can make one no problem but am not sure where it fits ie does the valve slide
into the sleeve or does it seal on the top edge any help please