Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th May 2019, 08:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling
Default EATES 'Crank-Up' May 2019

This rally is small by some standards, with a particularly intimate feeling. The picturesque site is too small to allow a formal ring with parades or a surfeit of non-steam/vintage stands. The modest entry fee includes an interesting booklet outlining the different types of traction engine and displays. Sadly the present site will no longer be available, but if the organisers manage to retain the 'Crank-Up' atmosphere at the new site just up the road, near Saffron Walden, next year's event will be well worth going to.
Having met 'Arfursteam' on the Saturday, I anticipated his usual thorough picture report. So here are just a few things that caught my eye.

First, what wasn't there. 'Shiremog' has entertained us in the past with his portable steam fire pump. Unfortunately its boiler needs a bit of attention, so he brought his 3 ins Foster instead.

Last week, at Bressingham, I failed to identify a smart Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies agricultural. Well I've now been introduced to 'Major' and new owner Mark Groom. Hope to see you again soon.

One engine new to me was this seriously impressive A&P road loco, no. 4561 of 1900. I gather it originally hauled bricks in to London. Just look at the size of the rear wheels.

At the other end of the size range was this 6 ton A&P piston valve roller no. 11556 of 1926, named 'Gentle Annie'. She was described in some detail in the rally booklet.

This miniature Burrell 'Percy II' is a familiar sight locally. This was its first time out with a new owner, still unlagged following a boiler inspection.

Fowler road loco no.15467 of 1920, 'Sir Douglas', sports a pair of electric headlamps.

I don't know if they are original, but there's a nice steam turbine generating set to power them.

By contrast, this rare Garrett wagon, no.30826 of 1912, has acetylene lamps either side of the distinctive smoke box housing a superheater.

Finally this nice, self explanatory, registration plate on a roller.

Bill.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th May 2019, 04:38 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

The smaller rally's are well worth a visit as well as the bigger ones.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 10:07 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Arthur Carpenter

Thanks for getting such a good photo of my wife in the Sir Douglas photo, I usually try not to or edit her out afterwards.

Arthur