Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2019, 10:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James
Default Onslow Park 2019

On Sunday 25th August I visited the rally at Onslow Park.

I last visited the event a long time ago, it must be between 15 - 20 years. In recent years I have thought it was about time I went again but have been put off by reports of traffic problems in the area. Unfortunately, this was very much the case on Sunday morning. With about 4 miles to go, it was stop - start, with the emphasis on stop. It took well over one hour to cover this distance. I am not sure what caused the disruption but I don't think it was people heading for the rally - for the last half mile or so the traffic was at normal speed and there was not a queue for the car park.

The rally itself was absolutely brilliant, lots of engines, many different types, a fantastic location with some beautiful trees and an overall really good atmosphere. I saw lots of people I know, some I have not seen for quite a few years and it was really good to see them again. No name no pack drill but I would like to thank the people who let me sit down in the shade for a while, it was very much appreciated. And apologies for the sense of humour, especially the bit about unsuitable clothing worn by some women at rallies - eek!!!

I took lots of photographs, although it was not until mid-afternoon that I felt the sun was in the right place. Below are a few from the rally. As usual, they have been cropped to improve composition and they are all deliberately over exposed to show a level of detail in the shadows. This is at the cost of loosing the foreground in the picture - in some cases the grass in front of an engine has almost become white. All of the photos I take at an event of this nature are for possible use in the creation of artwork, so the foreground and background do not matter.

I have an idea for a new pencil drawing which will depict a Fowler road loco on haulage work in WW1. I want to have the engine fairly standard - perhaps a requisitioned example that has been repainted and possibly a larger toolbox added. Among these photos there are two possibilities, the Coulson class B5 and the black road loco called Ajax. This is a class A9 and was built in the early 1920's so technically it is too late to be the correct engine. But, I have some photos of a class A7 road loco which I like very much but they were taken many years ago and the camera was not as good as the one I have now. So, can I ask if there are any knowledgeable Fowler members - how would the A7 and A9 differ - and is the overall size and proportion the same? The first thing I noticed was the length of the smokebox on this engine - it is long compared to the A7. It would be quite easy to change it to the shorter version though. Any input on whether this engine could be easily changed into an A7 will be very much appreciated. My idea is a good one - and I want to crack on with turning it into a drawing.

Michael

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2019, 11:48 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Carl Byrne

Talisman is looking fantastic. Am I right is assuming she is driveable - judging by the oil running around the lagging sheets.

Cheers Carl.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2019, 12:31 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Philip Blackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_byrne View Post
Talisman is looking fantastic. Am I right is assuming she is driveable - judging by the oil running around the lagging sheets.

Cheers Carl.
Yes, driveable. Went into the parade ring, and as you say, looks fantastic.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2019, 12:39 PM
Engineer

Hi Carl, Yes, Talisman certainly is driveable - I watched it go into the main ring and take part in the grand parade.

It is not as finely finished as Onward - an example is the rear T rings, which are fabricated. The welding has not been touched, it has not been dressed at all. Perhaps this is a planned job for the future. That is being ultra-critical - it is still a fantastic achievement to build such an engine from scratch. The engine looks just right as well. I take my hat off to anyone who can tackle such a project. When you think about the tasks involved, from finding drawings, committing money to the project, finding people with the skills you need to machine or make parts, and putting at all together - it is an amazing achievement. And it has been completed in a relatively short space of time.

Michael
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2019, 09:14 AM
Engineer

Full Name: graham morrison

It’s not finished just yet. Some engineering still to be done then when it’s proven and run in the fine finishing will take place.
She was fine in grey as the works photos as it would have been impossible to do all the finishing and painting whilst still building... watch this space in 12 months.......
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st August 2019, 05:43 PM
Engineer

Thanks for that post, Graham. As I stated in my post "...perhaps jobs for the future...".

Does anyone know anything about Fowler class A7 and A9 road locos? Or have they all gone to Face ache...??? I may depict a Burrell road loco, such as The Dalesman, in this WW1 haulage scene as I have some references of that engine that are spot on for this picture. It would be interesting to see what it could have looked like as the WD didn't seem to go for Burrell engines. Anyone know why?

Michael