Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th January 2019, 01:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Allen
Default New Event near Hadleigh Suffolk

Pleased to announce on 6th July Whatfield Village will be hosting its first Vintage Vehicle Road Run. The event is open to all vintage vehicles.

Final details will be confirmed in the coming months but start and finish point is Whatfield Village Hall (IP7 6QU) and suitable for all types of steam engines both full size and miniature. Varying from 9 to 21 miles the route is through a rather beautiful part of the Suffolk countryside which includes a couple of decent hills.

The hope is for most vehicles to return to the Village hall around 17.00 where a BBQ will be laid on and local residents invited to come see the vehicles displayed for a couple of hours followed by an evenings entertainment in the village hall which has its own well-stocked and very reasonably priced bar.

Camping will be available from Friday night.

We are just confirming with one of the local farms low-loader and engine storage arrangements but sure it wont be an issue.

For those of you roading Weeting Rally a couple of weekends later is just under 40 miles away with a number of engine friendly routes possible.

I will post all details closer to the time but wanted to let people know sooner rather than later for organising their summer calendars. We are hoping for fun laid back event so entry forms will just be an email or phonecall letting me know whats coming more for an idea of numbers than anything else.

in the meanwhile If anyone does want to get in touch please dont hesitate to email whatfieldroadrun@gmail.com or call me on 07891 063077 - Tom
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th January 2019, 05:37 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Kevin Baldwin

Excellent news, Tom! I hope to come along and enjoy it. Road runs in Suffolk are always great fun; the county is hillier than people expect!
Looking forward to it!
FB.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th January 2019, 01:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Are you doing this in conjunction with the EATES? they have sponsored runs in the past with coal.......
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th January 2019, 12:16 PM
Engineer

Talking to EATES but their official road this year is being run a bit earlier in the year, sure details will be posted in coming months
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st January 2019, 12:48 PM
Engineer

I have had confirmation from the pubs they would all like to accomodate us with the middle pub (Lindsey Rose) pleased to offer Hog Roast and BBQ for lunch.

If you want to have a look the proposed routes are below. The only weight limitation is on the short route down Mill Lane (last stretch between the Bell Inn and back to Whatfield) which is 8 tons, however you can miss this with 0.5 mile diversion following the long route home....also includes a nice big hill to clear the tubes out on.

Short route

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/What...52.0780273!3e0

Long Route:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/What...52.0780273!3e0
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st January 2019, 11:07 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: graham austin

Are we not aloud to go through the Ford (water splash )in Kersey, (as seen in the open scenes of the lovejoy TV programs) we have in the past .
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:57 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
Are we not aloud to go through the Ford (water splash )in Kersey, (as seen in the open scenes of the lovejoy TV programs) we have in the past .
The long route goes through the ford, the reason the short route goes back on itself in Kersey is so when you come to the main Hadleigh-Lavenham road you only have to cross over it rather than join it for a short distance which is a bit safer on miniatures but if anyone felt so inclined it would only add about 500 yards to the trip back to the village hall.

Anything over 8 ton will have to follow the long route home on the last section to miss a weight restricted bridge at Kersey Mill so they will probably all go through the ford.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:53 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: graham austin

I think both links to maps are to the same map . Hope to bring papa smurf's Garrett tractor, (I'd better ask him, if he want's to come along as well )
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:36 AM
Engineer

Not sure why its not working as brings up the two different ones on mine. Anyway hopefully these give enough detail.

Long Route

[IMG][/IMG]

Short Route

[IMG][/IMG]
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th February 2019, 11:51 AM
Engineer

Engine storage has now been sorted for the road run.

Roading-
Can arrive from 2 weeks before (22nd June) and stay to the week after (14th July)

The Colne Valley Steam Tour is a few weeks before and is about 18 miles away, i believe a couple of engines are already planning roading over.

Low-Loaders
Arrive from Friday 5th and leave by Sunday 7th as we are in a working farm yard.

If you need to get in sooner or stay a bit later (roading or low-loader) the farmer has kindly said he could probably accommodate one or two if needed.