Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2008, 10:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: BA

Hi Tubby Cat, just looked at your web site, guess your not a fan of rollers then
LOL Basil
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2008, 10:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby Cat View Post
Hey all, I've posted some pictures of the Cheshire Steam Fair on my photopics website:

http://craigbennett.photobook.org.uk/c1548046.html

Have a look, if you can help me with any missing or incorrect information to go with any photograph then I am grateful.

Anyone recognise themselves in the pictures, feel free to say Hi and introduce yourself. Wasn't at the show overly long owing to other commitments so didn't get to take pictures of everything.. but was good to see some long missed friends including Mr Lythgoe's 89-key Marenghi

Sam, am I right in thinking you were lucky enough to be presenting this on Mr Lythgoe's behalf?

Dave, the Tasker is "The Horse's Friend", a Little Giant and was purchased (new i believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) by two benefactors and donated to the RSPCA to assist the horses pulling heavy carts up Ludgate Hill in London. The engine was (still is?) looked after by Johnsons's of Banks and has been for many years. I think i first saw it in about 1975 when i was but a wee toddler, and I'm 95% sure that it had a canopy at that time. However the next time i remember seeing it, there was no cab and I now wonder whether I imagined it lol. Maybe someone could confirm whether it is still owned by RSPCA or whether it is property of Johnsons, or even someone else.

Hope my limited info helps you Dave?
Hi

Very good of you! Cheers

Dave
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:19 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:

Dave, the Tasker is "The Horse's Friend", a Little Giant and was purchased (new i believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) by two benefactors and donated to the RSPCA to assist the horses pulling heavy carts up Ludgate Hill in London. The engine was (still is?) looked after by Johnsons's of Banks and has been for many years. I think i first saw it in about 1975 when i was but a wee toddler, and I'm 95% sure that it had a canopy at that time. However the next time i remember seeing it, there was no cab and I now wonder whether I imagined it lol. Maybe someone could confirm whether it is still owned by RSPCA or whether it is property of Johnsons, or even someone else.

Hope my limited info helps you Dave?
'The Horses Friend' is owned by the Moores family from Liverpool, and as you say has been looked after by Johnsons for many years. The cab is still with her but not fitted
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:48 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Craig Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
'The Horses Friend' is owned by the Moores family from Liverpool, and as you say has been looked after by Johnsons for many years. The cab is still with her but not fitted
Hey, cheers for the information I'm so glad i didn;t imagine that canopy, though it was a very wet day and I was only three years old!!!!! I can imagine the engine must look better without it, as its so small the canopy must have to be really tall to accommodate a driver.

I've also found some information to question my Ludgate Hill reference, I found an old rally programme, (always a source of 100% accurate information as we all know hehe), which quoted the engine as working in the crystal palace area, not the City, Does anyone know for sure? I'd also love to know how the system worked, whether carters were charged to use the engine, or quite what! If anyone knows more about the specifics of how the engine was used, i think it would be most interesting. Any ideas anyone?

http://craigbennett.photobook.org.uk/ if you want to see what I've pointed my camera at lately, click and have a look
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:51 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
Hi

Very good of you! Cheers

Dave
No probs ) I've since found out that its Makers number 1296 and was built in 1903. I'd love to know if Tasker's made anything smaller, they did not seem to go in for particularly large engines.

http://craigbennett.photobook.org.uk/ if you want to see what I've pointed my camera at lately, click and have a look
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Hi Tubby Cat, just looked at your web site, guess your not a fan of rollers then
LOL Basil
Hey Basil, I'm not intentionally roller-ist hehe I will be honest though, I don't know much about them, if any one wishes to take my education in hand, please feel free )

I did think id put several roller pictures up, though i know I didnt get to take pictures all the engines, i was hell bent on getting pics of Prospector!!

Will try and rectify my omissions at Welland and Astle Park, plus have a huge number of Banbury pictures, and I;m sure there will be some rollers amongst them hehe

Watch this space...

#17  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:16 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Sam Bozson

Quote:

Sam, am I right in thinking you were lucky enough to be presenting this on Mr Lythgoe's behalf?
Sure was.

I've had a look through your website - very good pictures - but you seem to have forgotten Fowler 14862 'Evening Star'

Sam.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:54 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlers are the best View Post
Sure was.

I've had a look through your website - very good pictures - but you seem to have forgotten Fowler 14862 'Evening Star'

Sam.
You lucky thing )

I didn't intentionally leave out "Evening Star", I intended to upload a picture I'd taken at Shugborough, but they were a little overexposed.

I've played about with one on the pc (not something i normally do with my photos except for cropping, so I'm not the best at it) but, I've put the best of the three I took up here in the Shugborough section...

http://craigbennett.photobook.org.uk/c1547869.html

#19  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2008, 07:11 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills

Quote:
I've also found some information to question my Ludgate Hill reference, I found an old rally programme, (always a source of 100% accurate information as we all know hehe), which quoted the engine as working in the crystal palace area, not the City, Does anyone know for sure? I'd also love to know how the system worked, whether carters were charged to use the engine, or quite what! If anyone knows more about the specifics of how the engine was used, i think it would be most interesting. Any ideas anyone?
I think it was Annerley Hill just by Crystal Palace Park. The donors were two old maiden ladies (sisters?) distressed at seeing the state draught horses were in by the time they reached the spot. Apparently when the engine was in steam regular horses simply stopped at the bottom of the hill refused to go on and waited to be assisted!

Last edited by Earl Kitchener; 24th July 2008 at 07:18 AM..
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2008, 09:00 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Kitchener View Post
I think it was Annerley Hill just by Crystal Palace Park. The donors were two old maiden ladies (sisters?) distressed at seeing the state draught horses were in by the time they reached the spot. Apparently when the engine was in steam regular horses simply stopped at the bottom of the hill refused to go on and waited to be assisted!
Thanks Earl Kitchener, I wonder if they paid to keep it in steam too Those two ladies must have had some moeny to buy a brand new traction engine appreciate the info