Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2015, 03:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

Quite right, Wayne. HHR is one of the friendliest and most enjoyable rallies that I attend - a great team to work with, and always a great atmosphere.

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2015, 08:03 PM
Engineer

Another point so far as I am concerned is that all rallies are not just exhibits, but people too. Over the years I have been lucky enough to make a lot of really good friends on the rally circuit. Some I meet most weekends others perhaps a couple of times in a year, or even less often, and not just from the UK. Rallying is what you make of it, but of course, you have to get there!

#13  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2015, 08:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

I can see demands for live streaming web cams at events coming soon!
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2015, 08:28 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4040 View Post
I can see demands for live streaming web cams at events coming soon!
Ah - copyright on my commentaries, then Adrian!!

#15  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th August 2015, 03:06 PM
Engineer

Full Name: George Balsdon

Tom, I don't wish to be rude, but it was only the other day that you were commenting on another thread how Honiton Hill was a brilliant rally and well worth the visit last time, and that you hoped to be able to go this year!

It's one of the most laid back and enjoyable rallies we do, very little hi viz and nobody ever on our back, given our own section of field and our own ring to do what we want with when we want, whether that be divising our own games to play, timed three point turns for example, or putting on displays for the public such as winching. It's definitely a rally where there's always something to see happening.

In my opinion they have some of the fairest and most generous methods of contributing to transport costs around, it's just a shame it doesn't attract more engines due to a lot wanting to get to Dorset so early. Having said that there are still a few engines for which it is only the first or second event they've attended this year, so although not perhaps new out, there's still always something different to see.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th August 2015, 11:41 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett4cd View Post
Tom, I don't wish to be rude, but it was only the other day that you were commenting on another thread how Honiton Hill was a brilliant rally and well worth the visit last time, and that you hoped to be able to go this year!

It's one of the most laid back and enjoyable rallies we do, very little hi viz and nobody ever on our back, given our own section of field and our own ring to do what we want with when we want, whether that be divising our own games to play, timed three point turns for example, or putting on displays for the public such as winching. It's definitely a rally where there's always something to see happening.

In my opinion they have some of the fairest and most generous methods of contributing to transport costs around, it's just a shame it doesn't attract more engines due to a lot wanting to get to Dorset so early. Having said that there are still a few engines for which it is only the first or second event they've attended this year, so although not perhaps new out, there's still always something different to see.

Hello George, thank you for your comments which were of a polite nature not like some other members who should know better.

I have only been to one rally at Honiton Hill so far and that was in 2013 when I did see some new engines and I agree it is a laid back rally.

Due to a change in circumstances this year I have not yet been able to attend a single rally, due to ill health I find it difficult both in getting to rallies and in getting around them and from past experience I know that parts of the rally field at Honiton Hill are quite rough owing to them appearing to be used for farming. I now have to be careful where I go for obvious reasons and this year I have been largely housebound. However, I am determined to get out this weekend and try and attend Honiton Hill. It was only out of curiosity that I was interested to hear what was new at the rally, unfortunately, there are those who should know better and they only come out with stupid comments.

I understand that being so close to the dates of GDSF that it can be difficult getting engines to attend. However, am I right in saying that some owners go to Honiton Hill on their way to GDSF?

Regards,
Tom.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 04:52 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
possibly you get paid for your services for the day. I do not and I have to be careful what I spend.
So, I ought to know better for replying factually to this?

#18  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 06:50 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Adam Hewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
unfortunately, there are those who should know better and they only come out with stupid comments.

Regards,

Tom.

You either get some real kicks out of being a pest or just thick. No one wants to hear about your ailments and excuses -
Now just go to a few rallies, post a few pictures and let people appreciate your posts rather than despise them.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2015, 09:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: marshall

The latter
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th August 2015, 01:12 PM
Engineer

Don't forget - Tomorrow and Monday and well worth a visit. Heading up there later this afternoon. Look forward to meeting many of you. I will be in the commentary box as usual - "The one above sees all"!