Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th February 2015, 09:41 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Gilby

Hi there,

I have been directed to this thread by a friend of mine, who I gather you have already been talking to.
I was looking to start advertising my 3" steel-boiler Marshall for sale shortly, due to simply not getting the time to rally it any more (which is also why I haven't been on here in about a year). It would come complete with all the kit I have for it, including car trailer with feet and ramps for loading, drivers trolley, custom passenger/water/coal trolley, hydraulic test fittings, powered blower chimney extension, and general steaming kit in a big wheely toolbox. I also have all the plans and drawings, and all the original boiler paperwork.
It is a brilliant engine, very powerful and very nice to drive. A fellow 3" Marshall owner remarked to me how smoothly and quietly it runs, and how good the attention to detail on the build is. It was built by TT member jonnycapone, the build thread for it is on this forum somewhere. The build was completed in the late 2000s, but the boiler was laid in the early 90s which means it predates the kitemark paperwork complexity. Whilst under my ownership, it has always been kept in a heated box in a dry modern garage, and has always been run on treated water.
The engine is currently out of both tests, due to awaiting repair for a minor problem. Although I have not yet dismantled it to check, from the symptoms it presented to a bunch of knowledgeable enginemen last time it was steamed, it would seem a small amount of sediment (I think from using an old bottle of boiler treatment) has got into the water pump and injector, compacting in the pump body and silting up the injector cones. If so, it should be relatively easy to dismantle, clean and reassemble. Additionally, the paintwork might benefit from a slight refresh, but as it has always been an engine for steaming not polishing, it has never bothered me.

Based on what I have seen some examples of this engine go for, and taking into account the overall condition of the engine, I would be looking to start discussions at £7750 repaired and with new certificates, or £7000 in its current condition.

Regards,
Matt

- 2005 Range Rover V8 - now fixed
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th February 2015, 07:51 AM
tt

Thanks to all for the replies and I am now sorted.