Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th March 2014, 09:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

no I buy it standing of the national trust and where ever else I can get it, and saw it myself unless i'm making sails in which case I either try to use reclaimed pitch pine or larch / douglas fir or glulam.... elm can be a problem but I have a contact in Scotland....
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2014, 06:01 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmiller78 View Post
depends on thickness of the rim and what you want them made in, when I did mine I used top quality air dry oak then kilned it, decent ash is hard to come by and if damp or muddy it just rots or shrinks..... at least with the oak its dry and stable (I specially selected it.... but if I had to buy the timber at commercial rates, joinery grade oak in 6" thickness to make the fellies would be around 900/ wheel kilned, I recon I could make a wheel in 3 days, dependant on the spokes, I borrowed a mates copy lathe for mine.... but still had to saw blanks out.
I know a man who had a marshall drum re wheeled in timber at a reasonably decent wheelwrights in dorset and it was over £1500/ wheel....
not many wheelwrights like doing heavy wheels, they much prefer the lighter carriage stuff.
i'd do m own wheels but tbh I've enough on with 2 waterwheels and an oak garden room to finish by next week but if some one was stuck..... and was prepared to wait....
Adam, the oak for our fan tail stocks came from Whitnessham Sawmill near Ipswich. It was 4.1/2" boards cut in 1990's. They have/had large stocks of large air dried oak. But it was not cheap... they did allow me to select through as well.

JW
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th March 2014, 09:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Piers

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmiller78 View Post
I know a man who had a marshall drum re wheeled in timber at a reasonably decent wheelwrights in dorset and it was over £1500/ wheel....
Adam's right - From my enquiries when testing the water this figure is about average for a half-decent wheelwright - 1k to 1.5k per wheel.