Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 07:40 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Colin Tyson
Default Steam engine clearance sale

press release from Preston Services:

Preston Services is holding a huge clearance sale of steam engines and collectables during its forthcoming New Year Open Days on December 31 and January 1, 2012.
Included in this first ever sale will be unrestored traction engines, stationary steam engines, miniatures and models, steam pumps, marine engines, boilers, locos, gen sets, internal combustion engines, agricultural machinery and an eclectic array of interesting mechanical sundries. The sale is hoped to make space
for new developments at Preston Court Farm, and to date, some 300 lots have been identified, with more sure to follow.

Many of the sale items will be laid out for inspection, while others will have to be hunted down by those interested – everything will be marked and listed, all must go and there will surely be some amazing bargains to be had. Preston Services says that this listing will be on their website before Christmas. To make matters easy and because steam engines are usually very heavy, buyers won’t be expected to take their purchases away on the day – a low cost pallet delivery service has been arranged to deliver to your door and payment can be made in all the usual ways.

Both regular and first time visitors are to be welcome, as ever, to this popular free event, always a good opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and enjoy a whiff of steam over the Christmas holiday. Hot food and bar facilities are to be available throughout, with opening hours from 10am-5pm each day.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 08:26 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Joe Black

Has anyone been to the new year events here before? I'm toying with the idea but wondering whether it's worth the three and a half hour drive each way?
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 09:18 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaming North View Post
Has anyone been to the new year events here before? I'm toying with the idea but wondering whether it's worth the three and a half hour drive each way?
Joe, yes a number of times.

Its not only worth going to see what is there, but also for who else is likely to be there. It is very much a social event also.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 09:27 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Vince Hawkins

Joe

It takes us about the same time from Bristol, and I would say it is well worth the effort.
Even if you did it as a one off you would more than likely go again.

Micheal and his family put a huge amount of effort into this event and I have always found him to be a true gentleman.
His prices can be high but you don't have to purchase from him if you don't want to, your options are always open to try and find similar elsewhere, if available.

Vince.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 09:45 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

It's a great day out, one of the best collections of engines in the country? Certainly a good mix.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 09:46 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Arthur Carpenter

I am only a OAP steam enthusiast, but I have been to the New Year event and found it very worthwhile if only to get photo's for my collection, I travel from Suffolk. As has been said I can confirm it is very friendly and an enjoyable time can be had by all. Best wishes and happy hunting to those who wish to buy.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 10:32 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

If you fancy an overnight stay Travelodge are doing Rooms at bargain prices, I have stayed in the Canterbury area myself recently.

Travelodge.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 04:28 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Gary Smith

Joe you could of saved the p+p on that Time Saver as you have to go past my door step, The wraping was'nt very festive!
I am going on the sunday, I ll get the teas in if your coming down.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 06:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Colin Tyson

More from MLB

All the items will be listed in a catalogue, given to all interested parties and all will be numbered and described briefly.
The original price will be given, together with the VASTLY reduced sale price.

Furthermore, anyone who completes a purchase on the day will get an additional discount.

CT
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st December 2011, 06:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

ooooh how exciting, and very good marketing
now is the catalogue available before hand or only on the sat/ sunday?
i'd like to know as its a 3-4 hr trip from here even at warp speed 9 in the wifes volvo... and forgive me for being cynical but some of MLBs prices are fairly heavy to start (i'm not knocking him if you don't ask you don't get and i can sympathise having just had to deal with some time wasters selling engines)
so i expect with a huge discount may end up as half sensible... but i'd like to know whats on offer first..before i put my hand in the pocket and fill up the V70 and post wife and baby to inlaws for the day.