View Single Post
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st July 2019, 11:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James

Also at the event was this dynamometer . My photo shows the Marshall agricultural owned by Dave Wothers. The amount of flapping about by the belt was amazing - and I managed to capture it in this photograph. The belt came off once, I did not see it happen but heard the effect on the engines exhaust.

Someone should tell Dave, diplomatically of course, that the half length cab on his engine - how can I put it... it does not look right. It probably only needs a bit of tweeking here and there... Any volunteers to tell him?

On a more serious note, I would like to add a comment about the coal the engines were burning. I am assuming the situation was created deliberately and not down to a coincidence or fate.

Given all of the bullshit about the burning of fossil fuels, put out by the Government and other organisations - and accepting that there is a risk to us continuing to enjoy our hobby in the future, it was very good to observe the lack of visible smoke. I think this is a very good and positive step forward taken by the organisers. I do not know what the coal was like when used in anger, so to speak, once in a firebox it may have been awful stuff.

The lack of smoke may have been a bit annoying for photographers. It was not a problem at all for myself as an artist - I can add as much smoke as I like to my drawing. In fact I never work from photos when it comes to smoke; I gauge how much the picture needs from the picture itself.

Michael