View Single Post
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2019, 11:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Barham

Thanks Jim for the posts, last I heard it was out of action requiring some boiler/ Firebox work,, I was suprised to see its photo, also kicking myself for not heading south Bob, I last took a photo of Berkswell in 1964, or 5. Ben the engine was owned by a Mr Arnold, agricultural contractor and Located at his premises in Back Lane Berkswell, near Coventry. apparently , according to an old posting here there was another engine at the same site which was scrapped. In a barn on the premises was a (Marshal possibly) drum on huge wooden wheels and various old tractors.. I got involved as a 12year old through Lew Beddoes through Coventry Model engineering Society. There was also a Mr Smith, a fitter at Coventry Engine shed. They were restoring the engine but Mr Arnold still owned it The Govenor is from Elsa , I recognise it from the brazing repair job on the body of the govenor and the brazed pulley. Ted Sansom had given it to me as he was fitting a pickering govenor to Elsa, I transported it on my t - rusty butchers bike from Hinckley to Berkswell. . I believe Mr Smiths son did a lot of the welding repairs to the tender and either he or his son eventually owned the engine. .I remember a patch on the firebox on left arount foundation ring area.
Not sure when Mr Arnold aquired the engine, I believe the corrugated iron barn is still standing or seems to be from google maps.

Picture taken earlier with Mr Beddows & Mr Smiths grandson, possibly its subsequent owner. The occasion its first steaming for I don't know how many years. 1964 or there abouts, could have been later, will check