View Single Post
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 11:19 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Ben Tiratsoo

Cheers Sean. Like I said, I know lads who sailed with him on the tugs, and not a bad word has been said about him when I have asked questions etc. I have a soft spot for the rally as it rekindled a passion for steam that I hadn't felt since I was very young. I am now lucky enough to help out with a Garrett 4CD showman's tractor and a Fowler roller.

The first engine I ever drove was at the rally a couple of years ago. This was the roller Major Henry. I was in the queue for the public steering having made a donation. I jumped up on the roller and the owner explained the steering etc. Off we went. I asked a couple of questions and his response was, "you don't want to steer, you want a go at driving, so lets swap over". We then spent a happy 45 minutes in the arena messing about!

This year I was crewing on the Garrett and drove up to the owner to say hello. He remembered me from a few years back and I made sure to thank him, as I wouldn't have been where I was without his very kind offer of letting me drive.