View Single Post
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2017, 09:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Sean Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiratsoo View Post
Regarding Bill Targett himself.....

He was an engineer on the harbour tugs in Southampton. The father of the skipper of the tug that I am engineer on in Southampton, spent 20 years sailing with Bill. From the stories I have been told by the tug crews and from the lads that sailed with him, he was a prolific member of the Hampshire/ South Coast preservation movement. When he was on the tugs they were steam powered - coal when he started and subsequently converted to oil sometime around the 60s as my skipper's dad started in 71 I think on the last oil fired steam tug.

I am new to the steam scene (I was crewing for Mr Maggs on the Garrett "Katrina" at the event) so only know the stories from blokes that sailed with Bill. I don't know if he had his own engine, but I'm certain I've been told that as he was a steam engineer, he helped maintain a fair few as well as championing the cause for all types of vintage machinery.

I hope that helps to get the ball rolling as I would also love to hear more about him.

Ben
B|ill was a true gentleman of steam. He helped when I first started to learn to drive with advice and humour. He had the 15 ton Aveling roller Pegasus at that time. He had driven the Wallis Simplicity which is at Hollycombe for its previous owner and had very definite opinions about it ;-) I remember one day when I was having great difficulty getting stem up in the Simplicity (not helped by feeling jaded after a very convivial night before) him regaling me with stories about how difficult it is to fire and how once, when the injector failed he had to jack the back wheels off the ground, put it in gear and set it going as the pump only works when in gear.

His roller had to go when he was found to have cancer in his throat, but he still came and "chatted" about steam, using one of those kids slate type things with the lift off plastic sheet to clear the writing.

I don;t think the Simplicity has ever been to the rally which is named in Bill's honour and next year by the time it comes around I will be retired.................

Sean