View Single Post
  #1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:59 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Richard Vernon Collection Sale

I went to Lutterworth yesterday, some pictures are on my website, there was lots more interesting ploughing kit but I had a funeral to attend:
https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk.../ukindex23.htm

Today's hammer bids (text truncated by Cheffins website!) are below. All plus the usual extras of course. These are rather less than I might have expected but I am no expert and maybe they all need work doing on them.

Can someone explain how the second drum works if it is markedly different from the normal one?

150 1909 John Fowler Class BAA Colonial traction engine. Works No. 11717. 6nhp single cylinder. This is one of a total of nine built, as a simple engine but tall enough to cross a river, stream or rough ground. These class BAA engines were sometimes referred to as Anglo-Australian Engines. This example was shipped out to Australia in 1915 and spent most of its working life in New South Wales before returning to England in 1992. It was purchased by Richard Vernon in a semi derelict condition in Ma £49,000
151 1884 John Fowler and Co. Single cylinder double drum ploughing engine. Works no. 4223. 8nhp. 'Aethelflaed' Reg No. AC9061 This rare and interesting engine is unusual in that, as well as a standard rope winding drum fitted beneath the boiler, it also has a vertical drum affixed to the boiler's side, behind the running board. The elegant encased cylinder block and the Salter safety valves are typical early design features of the Victorian era. The engine was supplied new to J. and H. Tovey o £64,000
152 1918 Pair of John Fowler and Co. BB1 Ploughing Engines Works nos. 15170 and 15171. Reg nos. NR 78 and NR79. 16nhp. Double crank compound. Working pressure 180psi. 'Princess Caroline' and 'Princess Jayne'. These engines were supplied new through Government Order K26255 to Thomas Powers, Manor House, Barnwell, Leicestershire on 31st May 1918. They worked throughout Leicestershire, Warwickshire and beyond cable ploughing, cultivating, mole draining and dredging. In 1921 they were registered NR78 £156,000

https://machinerysales.cheffins.co.u...ipment-HALL-FA