View Single Post
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th September 2022, 05:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

Yes, you could buy advanced tickets (I did) and once you were at the entrance you would get in quicker with such a ticket.
However, the problem this year as it has been in years gone by is that everyone seems to arrive at about the same time and, like Welland in July, the system cannot cope. It even blocks the nearby A5 Shrewsbury Bypass.
I don't have a Ph.D. in the theory of parking but I did notice that GDSF this year was splitting the traffic into two as it came through the gate, each being sent to a different part of the car park. This seemed to have the effect of keeping things moving even on the road outside and it helped that the young parkers were very proactive.
I was waiting to go in at Shrewsbury as the gates opened but I could see that doing what GDSF did would have helped as the single queue of cars was coming to a halt and it eventually tailed back to the car park entrance which obviously slowed everything down, the parkers couldn't get the cars parked quickly enough. With half as many cars I think they could have managed (or they could generate three moving queues)
I have passed this ides to the 'management' for their consideration!
Welland is one of the very few rallies that operates a 'Pay and Park' system as opposed to the normal 'Park and Pay'. I guess they may change that for next year, they had some very disgruntled customers. If I had been in charge I would have just let everyone in for free until the back log was cleared and asked people to 'pay later'. That way they wouldn't have lost a lot of customers who would provide the worst publicity a show could ask for.

Last edited by International Steam; 9th September 2022 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Typo!