View Single Post
  #1  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th November 2018, 07:52 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James
Default SODEM Road Run 2018

Well, yesterday (Saturday 10th Nov) I went to the SODEM road run and... at times the clouds were very dark and gosh, did it rain! And then ten minutes or so later the sky was blue and the sun was shining.

There was still plenty of opportunity for photography though. I can imagine some really good shots were there to be taken if someone was brave enough to use their camera in the heavy rain. I am not a photographer; for me the reason I take lots of photos is for my artwork. I often see my camera as a sort of instant sketch pad and I use it to record features and details that can be used in my drawings.

The routes taken by the engines included some steep and challenging hills. The range of skills, knowledge and obvious experience by engine drivers was interesting to note. I would say most were very good but the odd one not so good. There seems to be a type of young driver these days who thinks he is driving a vehicle with a diesel engine and as a result they take a run at a hill. This doesn't really work on a traction engine. With the regulator open more than is ideal and a good level of water in the boiler, all that happens is the engine primes. It is usually in the wrong gear so they have the added dangers of changing gear on a hill. Watch some videos on youtube where Steve Arrowsmith is driving the McLaren to see how it should be done.

A bit controversial for a Sunday morning I know but it has to be said.

I chatted to several people who are members of TT; I showed them my portfolio and lots of positive comments were made regarding new artwork - not quite finished as yet but watch this space!

Anyway, below are some photos I took yesterday.

Michael