View Single Post
  #68  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4040 View Post
I have the misfortune to know a few of these type of people, i call them 'The keyboard warriors' The funniest thing is that in the real world there isn't one of them that would say boo to a goose

It's a shame they don't put some real world effort in to help out, they might actually find they enjoy it
If I had a choice between operating a computer all day and restoring an engine / helping out with organising an event I know what I would do and that would be not using the computer! Computers are useful for sorting photos, writing articles for magazines and designing and printing publicity material for rallies.

With regard to organising events, I organised the Heritage Open Days at the Robey Trust in 2012, Anyway, most of the volunteers were at the Works on a Saturday and the event was a Saturday and Sunday two dayer. I was told by one of the Directors that we did not have sufficient volunteers for the two days. So, I just typed up a list of things that needed to be done on the two days such as crews for certain engines etc. I asked everyone to look at the list and to decide which days they wanted to help and to decide between themselves what they wanted to do, and I left them to it.

When I turned up on the day, the place was buzzing, a compressor had been hired by one of the Directors who paid for it out of his own pocket and everything that could work did work!

We had a fantastic couple of days and I received a considerable amount of feedback afterwards to say how much the volunteers had enjoyed themselves and there was no shortage of them over the two day event.

The reason why the event was so successful was that I had not rostered the volunteers to specific duties and they all enjoyed the jobs which they were doing. The moral of the story is that if you have a happy crew you will also have a successful event!