View Single Post
  #64  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tty69 View Post

From a public point of view I have found that very few owners, both full size or miniature, seem willing to chat about their engines, most people I tried to talk to about their engine and the show and the scene in general just seemd annoyed at the fact I was bothering them and gave very blunt answers and tried to shut the conversation down ASAP and get on with sitting in their chair staring into space.
I think Matt makes a well observed point.

Before I bought my engine, I had tried to engage engine-folk in a bit of "light conversation"; thoughtfully, in many cases engine-men had arranged a fortress of coal sacks and deck chairs to prevent me getting close to starting a conversation. Also, in many cases the "crew" comprised tattooed, moustachioed, rough-looking types, smoking and swearing heavily to put me off. And the men were no better.

Now, some years later, as an engine-owner, with good looks, raffish charm and easy conversation I clearly don't fit in. If only the NTET provided guidance to owners like myself on how to achieve the right degree of disinterest and surliness I would feel my membership money was well spent. Once again the NTET has let me down.

Come on General Council pull your fingers out!