View Single Post
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by island steamer View Post
Dave, I don't know what air drills you have been using but all those that I have used and was using this afternoon drilling 25/32 holes have speed controlled with the twist grip which is totally variable. Yes I do own a mag drill and it is very good for small holes but any thing 1/2" and above is best done with the air drill and as for you using a large air drill free hand, be careful as it will bite you one day and you will go around with it , and yes its happend to me and have the scars to prove , Use a drill post. The other good thing about air drills is you can stall one without damaging it, Stall an electric drill to often and you chance buggering it.
Happy Steaming.
Kieth, I think you have miss read the thread, do you mean Phil? For drilling with an air drill I use a strong arm, for other operations, reaming etc, free hand is more than adequate.

I do say though, you can go much larger than 1/2" with a Mag drill, I only have a little Mag drill and drilled my tube plate it it, they were getting on for 2" holes. 20 mm Rivet holes are easy and fast with any Mag drill I would say. Have faith in your Mag drill!