View Single Post
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:23 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

I must admit, as an exhibitor I pick and choose, I've not been to a recognised steam rally yet this year with my engine. But am booked into two later in the year.

Nevertheless we have had loads of fun, and done loads of road miles as usual.

I like shows with little hassle and the opportunity to have fun. A show for me is a means to an end, a reason so that I can drive my engine somewhere. Personally speaking being on 'show' when I get there is a negative. Aggravation with passes, little men with clipboards checking this and that, and being shouted at to do this and not do that by nazis in hi vis are big turn offs.

I am beginning to believe that the future of some society run steam rallies may be numbered in their current format, and they may have to morph into something else to remain viable. We are seeing the beginning of this the last couple of years with the return to 'Country Fairs'

The larger shows, really do put on a good 'show' for the punters, and I can see why punters may complain about lesser shows. This is difficult but I can see both sides. The trouble is there are economies of scale, so the larger shows can offer better value for money.

What does the future hold?, in my opinion probably the opposite of what Stefan would hope for. For the last couple of years, perhaps longer, I have heard murmurings that ''the best part of show'' was what the engine owners and their friends did off their own back, off site on the Saturday evening. i.e they went to the pub/chinese blah blah.

With this in mind I can see more 'private' events, that is a couple of local engines (or more) meeting up at a mutually convenient location, likely a public location (usually a pub) for a good time. Then they go home, or perhaps a private location nearby for the evening. If you know about it/invited you get to join in, if you don't you cant. I went to such an event a fortnight ago, going to another this weekend.