Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Demise of Steam Fair FM (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=34152)

****ian**** 21st February 2015 12:04 PM

Demise of Steam Fair FM

Very disappointed to see this announcement: steamfairfm.com/ apparently posted on the 16th of Feb.

Will miss all of the features - Dr Busker on the Radio, Squirrel discussing broken Tractors, Martin Oliver on the Friday, and, most importantly on a year like last year, up to date showground information where the Mobile reception left a lot to be desired.

Always thought this was a good way of getting the Peservation Movement "out there" to a greater audience & to me it has become as much a part of the show as the Cider tent.

Not quite sure how travel information etc. will be distributed without this valuable feature.

BUNGLE 21st February 2015 07:36 PM

Bad news indeed :(

steamy1 21st February 2015 07:38 PM

It was great listening to it at home on the PC too.

BLACK HANDS 21st February 2015 09:48 PM

If it's money that's the problem, surely, there's a market out there for sponsorship? The station was a great benefit to the show, bringing news from the show ground straight to those that couldn't make it. Surely some dosh could be saved elswhare on the job to give support to this service that DOES bring in an audience from outside the 'lads on site' and gets other people interested.i don't know about you out there, but I know quite a few people that tune in to this station, that can't get there, like to know what's going on, and get a little bit of the buzz that comes from the show. How about a whip round from traction talk to see if we can keep it going?

craigctt 21st February 2015 11:48 PM

Has there been a coverage problem in recent years. The reason I ask is every year when we are on the road queuing up to get in, say a mile or so before we get off the main road. We see the signs for Steam FM on the verge. We try to tune in and get nothing. This has been the same weather we are in the Scania, ERF or the van. We have only been able to get coverage when we have been on site in the camping area. Last year I managed to get it on the iPad through the Internet but nothing through the radio on the frequency from the que on the road.

Dunrolling 22nd February 2015 05:17 AM

BUM !

Sick of brasso 22nd February 2015 07:04 AM

Gutted!!! We just bought a new caravan with a radio in it to!!!! :(

Jamie

steamy1 22nd February 2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigctt (Post 328351)
Has there been a coverage problem in recent years. The reason I ask is every year when we are on the road queuing up to get in, say a mile or so before we get off the main road. We see the signs for Steam FM on the verge. We try to tune in and get nothing. This has been the same weather we are in the Scania, ERF or the van. We have only been able to get coverage when we have been on site in the camping area. Last year I managed to get it on the iPad through the Internet but nothing through the radio on the frequency from the que on the road.

I think their range was probably restricted by the terms of their licence.

BUNGLE 22nd February 2015 04:26 PM

Yes, it was on a restricted licence, it was mentioned on their 'trailers' (the ad type, not the engine type !!)

Mac1652 22nd February 2015 04:45 PM

As has been mentioned elsewhere, I will miss the features and the Martin Oliver interview, it did prove particularly useful last year when we started queuing miles from the site entrance. We could get up to the minute information on site conditions and more importantly know that we would be booked in regardless of when we finally got to the gate (in our case 23:00 on the Tuesday night). If the same happens this year (lets hope I doesn't!) I think the lack of information will prove frustrating to some people as it has been available on the wireless in previous years.