Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted Adverts (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3" scale Fowler traction engine (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=45259)

Gordon Bennett 2nd September 2019 07:44 PM

3" scale Fowler traction engine

I would like to purchase a 3" scale Fowler agricultural traction engine, built to the MJ Engineering design.

I want an engine that is either a runner, complete with a boiler certificate or an engine that is very near to being a runner - perhaps a newly built engine that requires a few small jobs to finish it off. I would also consider a model that has been steamed regularly and now needs some minor jobs completing, to bring it back up to standard. I do not want to tackle any major jobs on an engine though - and end up with another project.

Regarding the boiler, I would prefer one made from copper but I will consider an engine with a welded steel boiler. A copper boiler does not necessarily have to be the work of a professional boiler maker but if it is not, then obviously it must have been built to a good standard - this includes following the drawing! As far as boiler paperwork is concerned, the more the better. But, if there is no paperwork with the boiler - and the boiler is well made - this is not necessarily a problem. I will consider buying a model like this but I would expect the asking price to reflect the matter that there is no paperwork with the boiler. It would take a fair amount of work to put a ticket on an engine of this nature but it is most definitely not an impossible task.

I would prefer an engine on strakes, and not solid rubbers. I realise a lot are on rubbers though - life is always a compromise! I would ask sellers to make contact anyway even if my preferences are not exactly what they have available.

I really like the Fowler A7 and this is what I would prefer. But I will consider a 3" Marshall agricultural traction engine or an Allchin in 3" scale as alternatives, if anyone has one of these for sale. A single cylinder Fowler ploughing engine would also be rather nice to have, as another alternative.

Please contact me by any of the following methods:

Here on Traction Talk by adding a post to this thread or by sending a PM. It is also possible to send an email to my email address through T-T.

Mobile phone: my number is 0759 815 8170. Please note that I do not always keep my mobile near me - I find they can be a bit of a distraction! Therefore, if it is not answered, please leave a message and I will make contact. I check for messages, missed calls etc. several times through the day. I can also be contacted by text message.

Finally, to be totally transparent, this is a private wanted advert to find an engine for myself. I am not a dealer and I am not working on behalf of anyone else.

Fingers crossed that the right engine comes my way soon!

Michael

flwagon 4th September 2019 08:11 PM

fowler

Hi Michael There was one on homeworkshop alittle back... in bits but nicely made... think about £5,200.

flwagon 25th September 2019 08:00 AM

Hi Michael re 3 inch Fowler

Hi Did you see the Fowler showmans at Dreweates auction? super quality, Could be expensive though... Not sure if it sold I was in a meeting unfortunately; only saw it eve before...could be. bought by a dealer so keep😳peeled for it.
regards
vic

Gordon Bennett 26th September 2019 06:07 PM

Hi Vic,

I have been busy sorting out a frame for one of my drawings, ready for the 19th October... No names, no pack drill but really looking forward to it... ;) :cool: :D ...!!!

Homeworkshop is back up and running again but I cannot register with it... no luck with emails either. I intended to put a wanted ad on it.

I don't fancy a showman's engine - too much brass to polish! And probably more than my budget.

Please keep your eyes open for me - hopefully something will come up soon.

Michael

pjparrish 26th September 2019 07:03 PM

MJ Engineering have a 3" Fowler almost complete for sale, saw it at Wilton Model Show its not bad!

flwagon 27th September 2019 10:29 AM

mj eng fowler

Hi Pete, apparently it needs a new boiler! as the one it is poor quality workmanship! Did you find your Fowler parts ex simon? in the end?
I would love a 1.5 or 2 inch version but hard to find...I guess your not selling any of your exquisite traction works of art?kind regards vic

Gordon Bennett 27th September 2019 12:08 PM

I went to see the 3 inch Fowler that MJ Engineering have for sale. The quality of the engineering is good, the crank turns over very nicely with no tight spots. I can't remember the exact reason but there was an alignment problem with the final drive gear guard, which as a result was in contact with the rear wheel.

In the interests of diplomacy, the less said about the boiler the better.

Michael

Gordon Bennett 27th September 2019 02:26 PM

Vic, no, I do not sell my artwork or take on commissions these days - perhaps that is why I enjoy drawing my pictures. If I were to sell an original, or take on a commission, it would be very expensive, several thousand pounds.

There are three people who own an example of my artwork (originals - not prints) that I have created since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I am one of them, another is the person who persuaded me to have a go at creating artwork again, a few years after I was diagnosed. And the third is a young lady who.... I think about often... :( *cry ! So, it is a fairly exclusive club!

I acknowledge lots of people in the world of road steam would like to own one of my originals and who knows, perhaps one day I will take on a commission or two. The greatest irony is that the artwork I am creating now is better than the art I created before I became ill.

Michael

flwagon 31st October 2019 09:02 AM

Hi Michael Roger on here has a nice 3 inch fowler for sale have you seen it? Regards vic

calimods 12th November 2019 11:41 AM

There is one in the for sale column