Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spring Gathering - Chetwode Arms (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=26210)

buzzy bee 28th March 2013 06:46 AM

Very Very Nice Cakes at that! :)

James Tilbury 29th March 2013 07:50 PM

Brian,
This cylinder block stuff sounds distressful. What was the problem exactly ? I look forward to seeing it. Will you be doing the local cheshire shows? .. Although I am to busy to bring engine this this do as I will be finishing bits for school I may be able to make an appearance with mark to catch up ... May be on evening or afternoon would be possible, hopefully. Look forward to seeing you all.
James

bjwlancashire 2nd April 2013 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James

It is a casting fault but not found until pressure or steam applied, I do not recall seeing the hole or would have questioned it when I first saw the cylinder block. It is a 21 core casting so a very complex piece of work and it could be a that a core moved slightly in the casting process. That or the wall between the live steam channel up the centre of the block and the exhaust steam passage has not cast completely around the area where they are closest. Either way the result is a small hole that was probably blocked with casting sand or the thinest web of iron so hiding it until it was to late.

At the bottom of this post is the view of my block after I stripped everyting off it, look up the exhaust passage.

STW have the next batch of cylinder blocks on the machine now so it is just a case of waiting for them to be machined as there were none left in stock.

For the Chetwode Arms event I will onlt be available on the Sunday as I have a previous commitment on the Saturday with my engine at a private event for the club that is testing my boiler. We can alway catch up on the phone sometime.

Cheers

Brian

Flashback 12th April 2013 11:30 AM

Anymore update on who is coming to the steam gathering?

MCOIL15 13th April 2013 10:56 PM

Well done Clive , Speaking with the Leigh Arms team and they were up for a do anytime which was alos the view of the Holly Bush management , Hope to come along Max

staffordshirechina 15th April 2013 07:29 AM

We hope to be there as a static display, still not steaming yet!
Les

Clive Hearsey 25th April 2013 11:21 AM

Just a quick reminder that there is only 2 week-ends left to get your machines ready for the Chetwode gathering.

Clive

davidje 26th April 2013 08:39 PM

Do we know who is attending?

Flashback 27th April 2013 02:46 PM

me, me mum and me wife. need to do a bit of a paint job and I won't have a roof on the engine but Brian x 2 are hoping to have the cylinder blocks next week therefore they might have a small chance of running. Dave not eaten all winter so get the cakes ready, speaking to Clive I hope about 15 engines will turn up can't wait.

Clive Hearsey 2nd May 2013 11:53 AM

One week to go, who's coming and with what?