Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steam on Rutland Water (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=29522)

sparkright 2nd December 2013 06:15 PM

Steam on Rutland Water

An early shout for a new event in 2014...

'Steam on Rutland Water' taking place on June 28/29th at the Rutland Water Visitors Centre, Sykes Lane, Whitwell Road, Empingham LE15 8PX

Early days yet but a traditional rally line up is planned, set out amongst the trees overlooking Rutland Water. Beer tent and evening entertainment. Plenty of hard standing if the weather turns and room to run around.

Hopefully most of the local engines will be present along with, fingers crossed, a few from further afield, and some stuff 'on the belt'

Anyone who is interested in bringing something along be it steam or otherwise, contact Tom Boon on 07710 823763.

sparkright 6th May 2014 12:18 PM

Just a bump up. I am told a good selection of engines are booked in!

richspoo 6th May 2014 02:35 PM

yes we are going for the week end booked into local pub really looking forward to it. Seems a great location lets hope its well supported.

Richard

sparkright 6th May 2014 03:43 PM

Which pub are you at Richard, you may find a couple of steam tractors outside on the Friday :)

richspoo 7th May 2014 05:53 AM

The Admiral Hornblower at Oakham. We are coming over on the Saturday morning. Its only an hour for us but staying on Saturday. Does anyone know what the entertainment is ion Saturday

Richard

sparkright 7th May 2014 09:20 AM

The organisers tell me Friday night is an 'exhibitors party' with John Barry, 50s/60s rock and roll plus jokes. On Saturday night singer Dave Logan is performing who literally does a bit of everything.

Nice pub the Hornblower!

Dunrolling 7th May 2014 06:38 PM

Any news on the other Rutland event I asked you about as it seems to be one of the best kept secrets of the year.

Cheers Kev.

charlotte23 7th May 2014 08:01 PM

Anyone like a form for this not too late to enter

sparkright 7th May 2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunrolling (Post 299967)
Any news on the other Rutland event I asked you about as it seems to be one of the best kept secrets of the year.

Cheers Kev.

Sorry mate it's been on the 'to do' list. Will get on it first thing.

Dunrolling 7th May 2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlotte23 (Post 299984)
Anyone like a form for this not too late to enter

Hi Charlotte 23

I can't seem to reply to your private message as you don't seem to have that bit enabled.

Do you mean Steam on Rutland Water ? If so i'm away at another that weekend but if you mean the Transport Festival at Nth Luffenham, i'm trying to enter a 1933 Austin 7 Box saloon.

Cheers
Paul

charlotte23 7th May 2014 09:17 PM

Hi no I mean the one at rutland water. I don't know much about the one at luffenham

charlotte23 7th May 2014 09:22 PM

Hi no I am organizing the one at rutland water. Don't know much about the one at luffenham

Brian Reeve 8th May 2014 02:51 PM

I have heard that t has ben cancelled already but don't know why.

sparkright 8th May 2014 04:01 PM

Left messages with the organiser at Luffenham so will let you know. Was hoping to take the Robey.

charlotte23 8th May 2014 08:28 PM

Rutland water steam is full steam a head if anyone wants to enter.

triumphman 8th May 2014 09:28 PM

I can play the intro to steam on the water.

sparkright 10th June 2014 11:34 AM

Here's a list of confirmed engines, I understand there may be a few more surprises

Full size

Fowler B5 showmans conversion 9475 Duke of Rutland - Robin Williamson

Fowler DNA roller 19356 Old Tom - Robin Williamson

Ruston Proctor tractor 52607 Lincoln Imp - Andy Holmes

Robey tractor 33957 Village Queen - Brian Knight

Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies traction 37087 - Richard Hinch

Aveling-Barford roller AH425 - Michael Goakes

Ruston & Hornsby portable 175037 - Brian Knight

Aveling & Porter R10 roller 5161 Lady Bethany - Dave Cole

Marshall S type traction engine conversion 76963 Jem - Richard & Peter McCormick

Foden C type wagon 13138 London Pride - Richard Knight

Miniatures

Foden wagon - Craig Walton

Ruston Proctor 4" tractor - Ross Gibbons

Foden 6 tonner - David Robinson

Burrell 3" traction - Brian Reeve

Atkinson wagon - Errol Marcer

Foster 4" traction - Victoria Marcer

Burrell 4" - Alan Odell

Suffolk Punch dredging tractor - Luke Geeves

4" road loco - Bill Cooper

Burrell showmans 4" - Richard Spooner

Foden 4" wagon - Paul Rees

4 1/2" fire engine - Graham Beck

Foster 4" traction - Ian Padgett

We are also taking a standard Fordson which was supplied new to a farm which is now underneath Rutland Water...!

richspoo 27th June 2014 06:28 AM

Help please

I have not received my passes etc and cannot send Charlotte an email privately.

I am shown as there so will turn up and hopefully someone will let me in

Charlotte if you get this can you call me on 07563 627910 just to confirm please.

We will be arriving tomorrow morning around 09.00

Richard

lincolnshiresteam 27th June 2014 09:12 AM

We haven't received passes either. Think as it was the previously an event behind the pub where you just turned up, there maybe keeping it the same and informal?

richspoo 27th June 2014 01:23 PM

I spoke with Charlotte to day she said to go tomorrow and ask for her at the gate.

Hope the weather is ok it is persisting it down here in Norfolk!!

Richard

sparkright 30th June 2014 08:41 AM

Well that was a great weekend. Good selection of engines, no hi-viz gestapos telling you what you can't do, a lovely setting and a nice hard perimeter road to play on. Here's hoping it was a success and happens next year.

Adrian white 30th June 2014 10:16 AM

A very enjoyable afternoon spent lakeside ( Not the Sunday Lakeside trip some wives thought they were going to! ), with a dozen full sized engines plus various other splendid machines to enjoy, including a super 1938 Leyland Fire tender. Pity there wasn't a programme or entry list to be found anywhere, but otherwise not bad at all for a first time event and great value (just £5 per car - including passengers). Everyone relaxed, friendly and enjoying themselves. We even had some traditional 'summer seaside' beach weather ... yep ... Dank and wet ;-)

Many thanks to the organisers and hopefully it will happen again, and maybe some full sized engines will be allowed to display /pose nearer the lake (please!).

One final thing, can anyone confirm the identity of the Ruston & Hornsby portable engine please? (Was it R&H No. 175037 of 1935 per chance?)

cheers Adrian

sparkright 30th June 2014 10:26 AM

Yes it was!

sparkright 10th July 2014 11:51 AM

Good news - this rally is on for 2015 - June 27/28 with Dr Busker playing in the beer tent on the Friday night.

sparkright 22nd October 2014 06:37 PM

As above Tom Boon and team have had the go ahead from Anglian Water to run this great rally again next year. It's in a good setting with plenty of hard roads, 2015 will see Dr Busker on the Friday night, some steam boats on the water, and a Saturday evening Road Run.

http://steamonrutlandwater.weebly.com/

Some pictures from last year can be seen here: http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/sho...+rutland+water

sparkright 30th April 2015 06:47 PM

14 full size engines and 27 miniatures booked in

jamespeterbrett 5th May 2015 07:09 PM

:) We should be there with my 4" Burrell driving my rack saw :)

tiny 5th May 2015 07:28 PM

hope to be there with a few models

charlotte23 19th May 2015 12:47 PM

We have 14 full size engines and 30 miniatures booked in this year

Dunrolling 19th May 2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlotte23 (Post 335608)
We have 14 full size engines and 30 miniatures booked in this year

Hi Charlotte

Who should I contact to book in the Austin 7 ?. Saw the show last year as a visitor and was very impressed.

Thanks
Paul

charlotte23 20th May 2015 03:35 PM

Hi thanks for message. If you email me at steamonrutlandwater@hotmail.com and I will send you entry form. Thanks charlotte

Dunrolling 20th May 2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlotte23 (Post 335698)
Hi thanks for message. If you email me at steamonrutlandwater@hotmail.com and I will send you entry form. Thanks charlotte

Will do & thanks.

Paul

Tim Watson 10th June 2015 12:35 AM

Who is going this year?
We are, and looking forward to it.
Tim

richspoo 10th June 2015 07:19 AM

we are coming bringing my 4" Burrell Showmans, first time out this year after ten year test and refurb. Now about to put the canopy back on after a re paint.

Looking nice and sounding great new siren fitted and governors working - can't wait

Richard

Clinkard 10th June 2015 08:42 AM

Sounds like a good'un, I'll see if G/son would like to come.

tiny 10th June 2015 09:24 AM

Me with Models, not commentating here

Thecoalman 10th June 2015 09:57 AM

We will be roading over with the Ruston on the Friday afternoon after work.

richspoo 25th June 2015 06:45 AM

just reading through the paperwork looks like a stationary week end no movement? That will be disappointing as you could go anywhere last year if you wanted.

Richard

Trevor 2 25th June 2015 08:03 AM

I went to a lot of "shows" in the States a couple of years ago.
They call them shows as they put on a show for the public.
If an engine sits still for too long someone will ask why and why arn't they moving about.
When I asked about crowd safety I was told - they have eyes and expect engines to move abd anyway I have a ruddy great whistle.
They have very few safety barriers- you can stand right beside a moving belt if you want to.
I am not going to South Cerney this year- when we were allowed out of our pen for the parade we had seven marshalls for twelve scale engines.

Tim Watson 25th June 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richspoo (Post 338592)
just reading through the paperwork looks like a stationary week end no movement? That will be disappointing as you could go anywhere last year if you wanted.

Richard

The paperwork does read like that, but it may be ambiguous and refer only to exhibitor's cars etc.

Tim