Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Harvest Home (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23079)

3816 10th July 2012 04:31 PM

Harvest Home

New event, New event, New event.

6th & 7th October 2012 near St. Columb, Cornwall, "Harvest Home" a weekend of threshing and ploughing.
We have 4 ploughing engines and tractors working the 13 acres of ground and will have almost 4 acres of wheat to put through the threshing set, again steam driven. A couple of showmans engines are comming to join us and a organ. On the Saturday evening we will be joined at the bar by Newquay male voice choir singing traditional Cornish songs for us all to join in with.
Tons of room for caravans and tents and visitors very welcome. We hope to be able to raise some money to donate to the Heart unit at Derriford Hospital, a place VERY close to my own heart !!!!

For more info about event please contact :- Steve Syms on 07813046830

3816 13th July 2012 09:26 PM

more added, hog roast, childrens bouncy castle and swingboats, full bar and refreshments, all are welcome, all we ask is that adults buy a raffle ticket at £3 each, 1st prize of £50, 2nd £25 and 3rd £10, All other exhibits will also of course be made very welcome,

Steve.

jfb 13th July 2012 10:28 PM

please remind me when i see you next to give a donation im afraid i will be at a show is the states that week but sounds lovely autumn /fall shows are my real favourites

3816 7th August 2012 04:59 PM

Now have 2 Foster 54" threshing drums and 2 stationary balers booked. Wheat to be cut with a binder 2nd weekend in September.

Steve.

Ruston 7th August 2012 09:05 PM

This sounds just up our street ,a working week end only one problem the mileage. Knowing some of you lads in Cornwell you will have a great time .

Maud Foster 8th August 2012 10:08 AM

Colin,

You can't go down to Cornwall on 6th and 7th October - young Dan has booked your engine in for the Buxworth Steam Weekend on those dates!

But worry not - we also have a hog roast and beer, a portion of which is free to engine crews.

ttp2011 9th August 2012 12:33 AM

Thanks Steve, we will try and be there. Can you give me an approximate postcode for the location of the event as I do not have sat nav as I rely on paper maps and I can get an idea of the precise location from my computer using the RAC Route Planner.
Tom Bowden.
Robey Tritandem Partnership Secretary.

3816 10th August 2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttp2011 (Post 222214)
Thanks Steve, we will try and be there. Can you give me an approximate postcode for the location of the event as I do not have sat nav as I rely on paper maps and I can get an idea of the precise location from my computer using the RAC Route Planner.
Tom Bowden.
Robey Tritandem Partnership Secretary.

Will find one for you Tom, but i dont think you will miss the signs, once you get to St. Columb, Trekenning roundabout, just follow signs for airport, 300 yards up the road turn left and you cant miss it !!!!!

Steve.

Pride of Somerset 11th August 2012 04:44 PM

Planning to be there......

Pedlers mate 17th August 2012 02:45 PM

Thanks for posting this Steve. We are hoping to come down from Leicestershire to join you (if we can get passports, that is ;))

ttp2011 17th August 2012 07:32 PM

Thanks Steve, I will be coming over from England as an Ambassador from Glorious Devon and to prove it, I have a pass which lets me cross the Tamar Bridge back to Devon for free!

Pedlers mate 20th August 2012 08:07 PM

Accommodation booked, looking forward to it very much. Still waiting on passports though, may have to swim the Tamar by night if they don't come through!!! :)

ttp2011 20th August 2012 08:51 PM

The Cornish are very, very clever. They let you in without paying but charge you £1.50 to leave if you are in a car!

Cher 20th August 2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttp2011 (Post 223957)
The Cornish are very, very clever. They let you in without paying but charge you £1.50 to leave if you are in a car!

But who gets the money? The Cornish? ?
You have to pay to go over the bridge into south Wales from Bristol and it's not the Welsh or the English that get the money it's the French ! Not a bridge I'd use twice I use the M50 it may work out longer some times but hey I keep my money in the UK

3816 22nd August 2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedlers mate (Post 223930)
Accommodation booked, looking forward to it very much. Still waiting on passports though, may have to swim the Tamar by night if they don't come through!!! :)

Colin, working clothes might just be the order for the weekend, many hand make light work !!!

Steve.

3816 22nd August 2012 04:10 PM

Still more to add to list, organ now confirmed, Chris Smith bringing Marshall roller, Chris Vincent going to bring one of his fleet over for the weekend, hope the weather is going to play ball !!!!
Wheat going to be cut with the binder weekend September 8th and 9th, anyone in area who could help on this weekend please ?

Steve.

ttp2011 22nd August 2012 06:31 PM

Sorry Steve but you could have a problem getting helpers then as some of us are involved with the Engish Heritage's national "Heritage Open Days" events. I have organised the event for the Robey Trust and if don't turn a certain member who is prone to running things over with a Tandem Roller may just decide to do the same with my BMW !! Please note, we are friends but I keep my distance when he is driving.

3816 31st August 2012 04:37 PM

Weather forecast not looking too bad, we will be cutting the wheat with the binder next Saturday, 8th September, All hands to the pumps !!!!!!!!

Steve.

amycamlin 2nd September 2012 10:37 PM

Well the threshing set is looking extra pretty now! I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

windmiller78 3rd September 2012 07:41 AM

good luck with the binder steve, its a shame your not nearer, i'd have been delighted to help, we cut and bound some up here, but gave up and combined the rest its just too wet! still hope all goes well... fingers crossed for the weather.

sparkright 3rd September 2012 08:49 AM

All cut with the binder here for Little Casterton in a few weeks. Good luck, hope the weather holds!

Pedlers mate 4th September 2012 09:15 PM

Hope the cutting goes well this weekend. A bit too far to travel to help and we are roading Pedler to Statfold on Sunday 9th but wish you well and looking forward to Harvest Home event. :D

3816 7th September 2012 05:35 PM

All ready and waiting to go for tomorrow, even the weather is going to be fine !!!!

Steve.

3816 8th September 2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3816 (Post 226362)
All ready and waiting to go for tomorrow, even the weather is going to be fine !!!!

Steve.

Now back home, wheat cut. carried and put into a round rick, sheeted for 3 weeks. A good days work, thanks to all that helped during the day. Now all we want is fine weather for the 6th and 7th October.

Steve.

Fowler_Man 8th September 2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3816 (Post 224280)
Still more to add to list, organ now confirmed, Chris Smith bringing Marshall roller, Chris Vincent going to bring one of his fleet over for the weekend, hope the weather is going to play ball !!!!
Wheat going to be cut with the binder weekend September 8th and 9th, anyone in area who could help on this weekend please ?

Steve.

By the sounds of it it's going to be more than one!

ttp2011 9th September 2012 03:36 AM

Weather is looking more settled down here, brilliant day yesterday, hot with sunshine. On Friday was able to wash my BMW for the first time in 6 months and found out that it was red !!!

Seriously, I am asking members to support this event, I know most of the engine owners personally and Steve deserves our support as he and his friends have and are putting a lot of effort into the event.

3816 9th September 2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fowler_Man (Post 226500)
By the sounds of it it's going to be more than one!

Thats great news J, get polishing mate,

Steve.

3816 9th September 2012 10:20 AM

Hope you have a good day today Tom, perfect weather for people to look at steam engines !

Steve.

Pride of Somerset 9th September 2012 01:07 PM

Accomodation booked... Will have overalls in car boot, Steve, prepared to get dirty hands for a change!!! :D

3816 9th September 2012 03:48 PM

We didnt cut and carry as much as 4 acres, due to the wheat being over ripe and also very brittle, but still did enough to make a nice size rick.Glad to hear that you are bringing the working clothes John, im sure we will all have a chance during the weekend to have a go at either pitching sheafs, rakeing chaff, feeding the baler, riding on the plough or cultivator and then perhapes best of all we could look after the engines !!!! Looking like about 10 engines being around for the weekend.

Steve.

ttp2011 9th September 2012 06:50 PM

Hi Steve,

I spread the word at our Robey Heritage Open Day Event over the weekend and quite a bit of interest has been shown by our visitors. I hope that this translates to cars at the gate, we are looking forward to coming down for the event.

We will pray for fine weather !

Regards,

Tom.

Charlie D 14th September 2012 08:18 AM

Our plough and cultivator are already on the farm. We will leave the Fowler in the vicinity following the ploughing day near Okehampton on the 26th September and drive Hero over from Cottonwood with the living van and watercart during the week before the Harvest Home weekend.

The locally owned pair of K7's are also expected.

Charlie D

Pedlers mate 26th September 2012 09:10 PM

Just thought I'd bring this event to the top again. Not long now! :D

ttp2011 27th September 2012 12:08 AM

I have my car and camera at the ready, we are looking forward to it as well.

3816 29th September 2012 08:34 AM

Steam plough and cultivator onsite, some of the road signs being put out today, "Foster" thrashing drum been checked over and greased, "Cornish Maid" in shed ready for work, now all we need is the weather to play ball for the next week.
Have had a great response from vintage tractors wanting to work the ground, and at the moment we could have as many as 30 +, even a few stationary engines have asked to come along.

Steve.

Charlie D 30th September 2012 02:57 PM

Went out to site yesterday and put the wearing bits back on the plough and cultivator.

Its a good sized field so we shall a reasonable length of rope out.

Charlie D

ttp2011 30th September 2012 06:10 PM

Just set up my faithful PC to give me weather forecasts for St Columb Major for the next week. Forecast is good with sunshine and cloud on Saturday max temp 19 C and Sunday cloudy max temp 20 C. For those who are still working with abbacuses and imperial measurements, the temperatures are 66 F and 68 F respectively so hopefully, it should be a good weekend.

Late Western 30th September 2012 09:39 PM

Tom, i am going on Sunday what ever your Ju Ju man says about the weather! Im in the company's service on saturday.
Will you vintage BMW 5 series be on display too?

ttp2011 1st October 2012 12:29 AM

Hi Ian, I am pleased to hear that you are attending such a worthwhile event. The weather forecast for Sunday is supposed to be cloudy temperatures up to 20 C. With regard to vintage BMW, I have to empty it out first as we have been refurbishing our house and Angela has been using the BMW as a storeroom pending a visit to the local charity shop to make a sizeable donation. What she does not realise is that I emptied out the BMW last night into her car and it is now full and there is no room in the boot! In the Beemer I had to put the armrest down in the back so thet Keira would not be buried under a mass of bits and pieces destined for the shop when I went around a right hand bend in the road.

To be honest, I did not know that Steve was doing a classic car show, if he is, I will exhibit the BMW ! This will probably be the last time that I will be using the BMW as I want to turn it into a 50" Plasma 3D TV with a Bose sound system!

Regards,
Tom.

3816 3rd October 2012 03:21 PM

Wow, now i know how close we are to the weekend, just finnished work, and now on leave to set site up etc, hope the weather holds off for us,

Steve.