Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pickering (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=30283)

Steamhead21 9th February 2014 04:13 AM

Pickering

Ok Pickering is like marmite you either hate it or love it.
Just had an e-mail stateing that Pickering will not be held on the showfeild does any one know where or if it being held this year ??
requards Peter Harris ( Durham )

ERNEST CARTY 9th February 2014 10:34 AM

Hi Peter when I attended Pickering last year it was generally supposed to be the last one ,apparently due to earlier events when organisers could not pay appearance money the reason I was given about the future was that the showfield had been sold.With regard to this year I shall have to wait until I get my copy of" Morgans Diary " to see if another event is planned to take the place of Pickering I wont receive it for over a month but if I find out any info I will let you know.

C.M.FANCE 9th February 2014 10:52 AM

Something is planned - http://www.pickeringsteam.com/
Simon Boak's name appears on the ad. Have his problems been resolved? What is the name of his company?

I asked about this on TT last November, but had no response : "Can any of the recent exhibitors disclose where the Pickering rally will be in 2014 and which company is organizing it, please."

jamespeterbrett 9th February 2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.M.FANCE (Post 291487)
Something is planned - http://www.pickeringsteam.com/
Simon Boak's name appears on the ad. Have his problems been resolved? What is the name of his company?

I asked about this on TT last November, but had no response : "Can any of the recent exhibitors disclose where the Pickering rally will be in 2014 and which company is organizing it, please."

Have you tried emailing at email address supplied Clive?

While not limited to Pickering, it seams such a shame our show grounds are slowly being destroyed and turned into ugly horrible housing estates. The East of England Showground at Peterborough springs to mind, seams to be more houses getting built on it everytime I go past.

steaming my way 9th February 2014 07:25 PM

Probably going to be shouted down but I hate the atmosphere of a rally on a show ground! They might be good for all weathers but very much in my mind lack the feel of an old fashioned steam rally!

craigctt 10th February 2014 12:50 AM

Pickering Steam Rally, .......... What can I say. I've been to a fare few in my time from boy to man, and in various locations and fields around the village over the years. My uncle and grandad were at the very first Pickering Steam Rally which I believe was around 1954 ish. My uncle has never missed a Pickering Steam Rally until his death in 2012. My father used to take Burrell 4062 when he owned it in the 80,s and 90,s. I remember racing my 465 Yamaha YZ at Cropton, then going straight to the rally afterwards and going on the pi$$ with the girls. Good memory's and great photographs. Unfortunatley at the 2009 event when it all went pear shaped and we were there with Royal Sovereign, I haven't been since. Me and the old man used to steam everyware in the old days with the Burrell and I remember waking everyone up on the rally field around 6am one morning when we steamed in over night and a steam pipe fractured. Good days and a good rally at its time. I'm a Yorkshireman born and bread, but now living in Worcestershire. As a Yorkshireman, stubben as hell, I won't go back since 2009, but I do hope either Simon or someone else will keep the rally going on whichever land...Pickering has always been a good rally, but Castle Howard was the best... Duncholm Park is getting near though.....only my opinion.

bjwlancashire 10th February 2014 08:37 AM

I was up in the north East at the weekend for a steam dinner and we were hearing comments around the room that it is definitely not on. As James says, an e-mail to the e-mail address on the site is probably best so I just sent one - lets see what I get back.

Brian

old&perculier 10th February 2014 01:18 PM

This years Morgans diary is listing Pickering rally as next to A169 Pickering YO18 9AB. There is a web address given www.pickeringsteam.com and a phone number for S.B Dates are given as 31.7 to 3.8 on website. I suppose the usual disclaimer applies i.e. check nearer the time

bjwlancashire 10th February 2014 04:35 PM

Interesting, that post code puts it 3.5 miles north of Pickering on Swainsea Lane, nowhere near the A169.

Bad £1.50 man 10th February 2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjwlancashire (Post 291651)
Interesting, that post code puts it 3.5 miles north of Pickering on Swainsea Lane, nowhere near the A169.

Surely not! I thought truth,honesty and transparency had been a key feature of Pickering in recent times

bjwlancashire 11th February 2014 12:07 AM

Maybe that's where the coal was first delivered to last year, must have took all day to shovel it off the ground back onto the truck and get it to the showground!! :rolleyes:

Steam Extravaganza 11th February 2014 07:46 AM

My email inbox is full.

Steamhead21 11th February 2014 08:52 AM

Pickering

I have just sent e-mail to SB will report any developments.

Steamhead21 11th February 2014 10:26 AM

Pickering

Got a reply within one hour .

Hi Peter, the Pckering Traction Engine Rally is definitely on - July 31st August 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The venue will be announced next week as negotiations are still ongoing.The website www.pickeringsteam.com will be updated soon. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks.

Traction engine fan 11th February 2014 07:59 PM

I went to one Pickering rally, and probably had the worse experience. I went in 2009.

bjwlancashire 11th February 2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamhead21 (Post 291738)
Got a reply within one hour .

Hi Peter, the Pckering Traction Engine Rally is definitely on - July 31st August 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The venue will be announced next week as negotiations are still ongoing.The website www.pickeringsteam.com will be updated soon. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks.

Got my reply today to though only just seen it, mare of a day!! Same message, venue announced next week.

Steamhead21 12th February 2014 04:28 AM

slight update of web site they say details on 24/2/14.

Steamhead21 26th February 2014 10:49 AM

latest

Pickering Traction Engine Rally 2014
Thursday July 31st…………..10am – 6pm Friday August 1st…………….9am – 6pm Saturday August 2nd………...8-30am -11-45pm (fireworks and entertainment) Sunday August 3rd…………..9am – 5-30pm
The rally is been held at a new venue outside Pickering – full details available soon on website
Admission Adults £10 Children £4 Under 5s free Family Ticket (2+3) £25 Two Day Ticket - Adult £15 Family £35 Full weekend pass - Adult £20 (others double 1 day admission)
Free Car Park. Dogs allowed on leads.
Public campsite Caravans (£80) and Tents (£60) (includes family admission -restrictions apply) – please request application form
Trade stand space is available - please request application form
website for up to date information……………wwwpickeringsteam.com email ……………………………………………enquiries@theeventsorganiser .com postal address………………………………….110 Church Street Whitby Y022 4DE

theeventsorganiser
news.

joe 13th April 2014 01:13 PM

Hi
Everybody
We love Pickering and have been going for 10 years we want to go again this year anybody know .

Steamhead21 14th April 2014 07:02 AM

Pickering

Details are on web site with phone number etc.
Just google Pickering traction engine rally.

contractor 14th April 2014 08:28 AM

Excellent web page, but still doesn't say where it will be held, they are also advertising two other events, Harrogate and Whitby and again it doesn't give a location for either, perhaps it's a new game "hunt the rally".

Steamhead21 14th April 2014 02:34 PM

their are posters /signs up for the one at sunderland early may.

trojan horse 18th April 2014 12:49 PM

The Pickering rally is back at the showground. Check the showground website.

Steamhead21 18th April 2014 02:16 PM

So it is, then why all the clock and dagger about venue ??

gotnocoalagain 10th February 2015 10:59 AM

Pickering Traction Engine Rally 2015

BIG NEWS ON PICKERING TRACTION ENGINE RALLY.
Simon Boak is not involved this year.
I was up north on Saturday night with fellow engine men, pickering traction engine rally came into the discussion. Cedric Lawson of The Events Organisers will be running Pickering Traction Engine Rally from The Pickering Showground as he did last year. There are no ties with Simon Boak in any way shape or form. The website is www.theeventsorganiser.co.uk exclusively.

Cedric also has 2 more shows, in Sunderland and Leeds.

Lets hope it is the start of a new beginning.

bjwlancashire 10th February 2015 12:08 PM

I can confirm that too, I was also talking to Cedric on Sunday morning after presumably being at the same do as GOTNOCOALAGAIN on Saturday evening. I did suggest to Cedric that he puts a statement into the vintage press to confirm the lack of involvement of SB and also that he contacts all the traders etc. who might just send money off at the beginning of the season as it may end up in the wrong bank account!!!!

I also asked about the layout too as we in the Saunders team have been put well away from he rest of the vintage fairground and the stage shows for the last 3 years and it could be being revised. The top field is not included this year either, the one where the main arena was and all the tractors if I remember correctly.

buggeroff 10th February 2015 07:29 PM

Will it be on the Pickering show feild ???.

Chris.

gotnocoalagain 10th February 2015 08:29 PM

Yes follow this link
http://www.theeventsorganiser.co.uk

craigctt 10th February 2015 08:31 PM

Happy memory's as a kid and into adult hood at Pickering. Shame it went all pear shaped. It used to be one of the best Rallys in the Country.

gotnocoalagain 10th February 2015 09:01 PM

Fingers crossed it can get back to the good old days.

Cygnus X-1 11th February 2015 07:09 PM

It notes on the site that the organisers work with NTET which if correct must be encouraging for enthusiasts such as myself who would like to see Pickering develop into a great rally .

Dave

buggeroff 11th February 2015 07:55 PM

Thought Mr Boak owned the showfield,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Chris.

gotnocoalagain 11th February 2015 08:18 PM

No SB lost it when he went bankrupt

Bad £1.50 man 11th February 2015 09:30 PM

So what happened to last years limited company???

gotnocoalagain 12th February 2015 01:15 AM

Check out the website www.theeventsorganiser.co.uk and read up on Mr Cedric Lawson. The Event Manager.
He is the man who is was involved last year and is this year if you click on home of the web page.

BLACKTOP 13th February 2015 04:00 PM

Mr sb is advertising a new rally at Whitby August bank holiday

gotnocoalagain 13th February 2015 09:05 PM

Funny that 2 years ago an attempt was rejected see link http://m.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/lo...view-1-5642820 I would guess that council after rejecting it in the past would continue to do the same especially on a bank holiday.

craigctt 13th February 2015 10:25 PM

If i remeber right, that used be Whitby Reggatta weekend. But it's a long time since I was there and I maybe wrong.

Steamhead21 14th February 2015 10:11 AM

SB still advertising pickering

gotnocoalagain 14th February 2015 03:49 PM

So have you booked to go to his show? And where is it alleged to be pls?