Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Show Reports (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Klondyke October Steam Party (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14314)

1882 20th October 2010 09:30 PM

The club are actualy well on their to rearing the money, a small start has already been made, but work will not start in earnest untill the full amount is raised, wich will not be long. The engine needs a complete new boiler and firebox back head and throatplate. complete new bearings throughout, aswell as shafts. new pistons motion pins replacing, a new tender and a new cab.
Every single gear needs replacement and it needs a new pump.
The rest of it is good to go again tho.
I was the last person to drive it before it was condemmed.

Bosiboz 20th October 2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1882 (Post 134102)
The club are actualy well on their to rearing the money, a small start has already been made, but work will not start in earnest untill the full amount is raised, wich will not be long. The engine needs a complete new boiler and firebox back head and throatplate. complete new bearings throughout, aswell as shafts. new pistons motion pins replacing, a new tender and a new cab.

I thought some of this work had already been done in previous 'restorations'?

1882 20th October 2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosiboz (Post 134107)

It had some stay tubes put in, and the pump removed/lost/stolen/sold.
The cab is gone and the gears have to be seen to be beleived.
It realy had turned into a rolling disaster looking for an occaision.

tractionman 20th October 2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosiboz (Post 134107)

I didn't know you were so interested in the the thetford produced products !!:confused:

Bosiboz 20th October 2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractionman (Post 134121)
I didn't know you were so interested in the the thetford produced products !!:confused:

I'm not - just wondering what the scrap value is;)

tractionman 20th October 2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosiboz (Post 134125)
I'm not - just wondering what the scrap value is;)

I wonder which will be completed earlist the Burrell or the Garratt ?

My money is on the the Burrell

General C.R Dewet 21st October 2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1882 (Post 134102)
Every single gear needs replacement and it needs a new pump.
The rest of it is good to go again tho.
I was the last person to drive it before it was condemmed.

That is basically exactly what ours needed apart from we had one new horn plate aswell. We restored the cab but everything else was b@ggered ! Owd Isaac certainly got his monies worth from his engines ! Oh yes we never had a pump to start with !

ethel 21st October 2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General C.R Dewet (Post 134211)
That is basically exactly what ours needed apart from we had one new horn plate aswell. We restored the cab but everything else was b@ggered ! Owd Isaac certainly got his monies worth from his engines ! Oh yes we never had a pump to start with !

The pump is gone of ours too! I seem to recollect owd Isaac removed the pumps of scc threshing engines for some reason. Anybody know why?

8_10 Brass Cleaner 21st October 2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethel (Post 134266)
The pump is gone of ours too! I seem to recollect owd Isaac removed the pumps of scc threshing engines for some reason. Anybody know why?

Bridsons ordered engines without pumps. And took the one off ours.

sparkright 21st October 2010 10:43 PM

As did Eddisons in the PV era.