Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th March 2022, 12:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by the highwayman View Post
The nutty lady from The Pony Club was telling Me of a 'Professional Objector' objecting on grounds of the 14/28 day permit, despite the objectors own Grand Daughter being an entrant.
I coined the phrase 'professional objector' for an article on planning years ago when it occurred to me that there were a number of local busybodies who objected to everything. I could name them all.

On the matter of SAGs as mentioned by Adam the word authority in this context is not quite accurate - they have of themselves no actual powers but eh various members might. It's another example of a sensible idea gone wrong but what's worse is that there is a real post-code lottery about how officious they can be and even worse they are totally unaccountable to anybody as an entity.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th March 2022, 02:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Kitchener View Post
I coined the phrase 'professional objector' for an article on planning years ago when it occurred to me that there were a number of local busybodies who objected to everything. I could name them all.

On the matter of SAGs as mentioned by Adam the word authority in this context is not quite accurate - they have of themselves no actual powers but eh various members might. It's another example of a sensible idea gone wrong but what's worse is that there is a real post-code lottery about how officious they can be and even worse they are totally unaccountable to anybody as an entity.
The thing is. If a SAG advises against your event and something goes wrong, then you are really in the soup.

I believe they usually work fairly well with fairgrounds, though COVID has shown a real variance in competence and officiousness.

Rallys, with aging committees often appear at these meetings and get blown away with requirements.