Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th July 2020, 08:02 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Martin Hunt
Default Car pipe holder

Looking for something similar to these ?

Cheers martin
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th July 2020, 03:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

I gave my late father a metal pipe holder one Father's day when I was about 7 or 8 years old. It sat proudly on the dashboard of his 1956 Ford Squire. Besides his pipe, or as my late Mother put it, his dummy, there was a fuse and that belonged to the radio. When he wanted to listen to the radio he put the fuse in and when he didn't he took it out as you had to pay I believe 5 shillings (25p) to have a radio licence which he did not have. If stopped by the police he could demonstrate that he did not have a working radio!
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 04:56 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

Hi Martin.
I think you will be lucky to find one try Junk shops e-bay etc.
Auto jumble stalls.
Or what about the possibility of having one made with a 3d printer ?
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 05:29 AM
Engineer

Yes ,don’t think it will be an easy find ,but that’s half the fun in chasing something unusual
Suppose it could be replicated in modern plastics by printer ,but something that is way above my limited tech skills to even k ow where to start
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 08:31 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

Maybe someone on here could help Martin
Type pipe holder in e-bay their is one on the first page if you scroll dow abit.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-W...QAAOSwjUxbLPrY
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 09:51 AM
Engineer

Full Name: graham

I belive Harold Wilson had a pipe holder ashtray and matchbox holder fitted to his Rover P5.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 03:03 PM
Engineer

Why have something made? Half of the fun is in having a rummage around in shops looking in obscure corners for whatever you want. For example, I decided to complete a set of GWR Books for Boys of all ages published by the Great Western Railway in the 1920's and reprinted by Patrick Stephens Ltd i the 1970's. There are nine books in the series. The first one I bought was in 1972 and then I was given three original copies. Bit by bit I completed my collection until I bought the final volume in around 2004, some 32 years later!. I enjoyed mooching around various bookshops looking for the missing books in my collection. Recently, I wanted to acquire the three books by Mc. Dermott, Clinker and Nock about the history of the GWR published by Ian Allan. One set on Ebay was advertised at £460.00, I spent two or three evenings combing ebay and I managed to acquire all three volumes as harbacks and in very good condition complete wit dust covers from three different sources for a grand total of £28.00. The harder the quest the more fun that it is. I wanted a copy of "The Brunel's Father & Son" written by Brunel's Grandaughter, Celia Brunel Noble. This was published in 1938 and during the Blitz the publisher was bombed and the manuscript destroyed. I did a worldwide booksearch and I found just 5 copies in existence and I bought the best of the bunch for £38.00 which incidentally, is the most that I have ever paid for one individual book.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 03:05 PM
Engineer

Further to my previous post, the problem with rummaging for a particular item is that something else catches your eye and you buy it. A book may only cost £5.00 to buy but you spend nearly £100.00 buying other books whilst you are looking for the first one!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th July 2020, 03:46 PM
Engineer

Yes magpie syndrome is very often a problem
While searching for one item something else will come into view
But as you said the hunt is part of the fun and adds to the sense of achievement
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2020, 12:47 PM
Engineer

My wife says that I am a hoarder, I say that I am a collector, I have useful bits and pieces around the home. For example, I have a Kindermann 35mm slide projector which I last used when I was giving lectures about Brunel's Royal Albert Bridge in 2009. Most people including my wife would have sold it, I have kept it in case it would come in useful one day. I have about 2,000 non fiction books mainly about Brunel and other Victorian Engineers. I have over 3,500 pieces of mecanno in boxes under my desk for when I manage to get some free time to use it I also have a couple of thousand electronic components for when I build experimental circuits on breadboards. I still use a fountain pen, the one that I use is a Parker Stainless steel pen given to me by my late father in 1990 and it still works faultlessly. My poor long suffering wife despairs with me especially as I have now acquired a secondhand LGB Garden Railway and I have threatened to dig up a flower bed to lay the ballast for the track. Also, I have told her that I want a non working Imperial Typewriter to restore over the winter! Yes, I do suffer from the Magpie Syndrome, the only problem being that |I could do with a bigger house!