Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 10:19 AM
Engineer

Full Name: MARK RIGG
Default WANTED - LATHE

Having worked for Dean , Smith & Grace for many years , I have to say that a DSG lathe is probably second to none .

The only problem is that even the smallest DSG - the type 13 or the 1307 its later version, is rather heavy for installation in a home workshop .

When I say heavy, meaning the actual weight of the machine - about twice the weight of an equivalent Harrison or Colchester.
So moving it could be more difficult.

As for using it - when properly adjusted , cleaned and oiled , there is not a more rewarding machine to work on. An older machine is capable of good accurate work if it has not been totally abused . Often a DSG was the best machine, and the most expensive, in the shop, so only the best turner / machinists got to use it, who tended to look after it as their own . I have seen machines 25 + years old used solely by one operator and still accurate as the day it left Keighley ! Not any Tom Dick or Harry was let loose on the DSG, but there were exceptions, of course.

All the gears in the headstock are hardened and ground and never give any problem unless run without any oil ! Many of the older machines prior to about 1965 had soft beds - Flame Hardened beds were an option and a regular feature post 1965.

If you are handy with a good flat scraper, wear in soft bed can be put right with a bit of work - not so easy on a hard bed machine though.

Many of the type 13 and some 1307s were supplied into training college workshops and consequently had little real usage or wear. The records of every machine built by DSG are held by the company, who should be able to supply details of the original customer and what extra equipment was supplied with it. The serial number is on the plate on the headstock which also includes the month and year of manufacture . This number is also stamped on the tailstock end of the bed.

The only real disadvantages are the weight of the machine and that the type 13 were never made with a gap bed and are relatively short - normally 30 `` between centres , although there are some 42`` machines about - these are a bit rare . The more modern 1307 could be a gap bed machine - with various bed lengths of 30 . 40 and 50 `` between centres.

The larger machines in the range - types 15 / 17 and the later versions 1609 / 1709 , both gap and straight beds of various lengths are equally superb machines but not so suitable for a home workshop

The other lathe I like is the Models `C` 10 / C 13 / C16 Holbrook - a beautifully made precision machine that can sometimes be found at sensible money. They were very expensive when new and were supplied with a taper turning set up and various other accessories as standard equipment and a useful speed range through a 3 speed motor.

A nice machine to use - the down side - they are rather heavy - with a cast iron base and they are all straight bed , ie no gap machines . Also I found my C10 3 speed motor was not too happy in all its speed ranges when used with a phase converter.

Other possibilities - the Smart and Brown 10 / 24 and the CVA . Both these quality machines were nicely made at the more expensive end of the market and smaller than the type 13 DSG . In fact DSG considered buying the manufacturing rights to the CVA as an addition to the range, but the CVA proved to be too expensive to manufacture at a price for the market.

MARK
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 04:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: James Beynon

Mark
Thank you very much for your post, it was a very interesting read and reasures me that the chances are that it is a very good quality lathe. I will have a chat to Dad about this lathe and see what we can do as from what you're saying it sounds like its the sort of lathe that will set me up for the rest of my life! Hopefully i can get down there for a look at it later this week as there seems to be a lot of interest on it sadly.
Many thanks James
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 04:17 PM
Engineer

Hi Carl
I will keep that in mind when i go to view it, if we decide were interested as it seems like the perfect lathe other than weight and that's only a problem once. i seems like everyone has had good experiences with the dean smith and grace lathes, and that they really are the "rolls royce of lathes" as the chap on lathes.com described it.
Many thanks James
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 05:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: MARK RIGG
Default WANTED - LATHE

Hello James .

You don`t say which actual model DSG you are looking at - the type and between centre length is cast into the front face of the bed , so it will be obvious.

DSG were always refered to as the Rolls-Royce of lathes - in fact until a few years ago there was always at least one new machine on order for one of the Rolls- Royce plants or one of their own machine back for a rebuild on the shop floor at Keighley.

So, if Rolls- Royce were satisfied, then I`m sure you will be too. One thing - properly looked after, you`ll never wear it out.

As Carl has said, parts for the older machines were available from the works, but a bit pricey. They were always very helpful with making drawings available and fixing up second hand parts out of dismantled machines if the customer was on a tight budget . I`ve not worked for them for a few years and there have been owner and management changes in recent years,
so I don`t know what the current situation is up there now.

I still have quite an quite an archive of DSG stuff, so if you can give me a serial number and where the machine is located it might be a machine that I knew of.

MARK
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 07:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

It is the one in my earlier link, a 1609x40.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-Smith...3D201443950568
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th October 2015, 07:43 PM
Engineer

Hi Mark
its a 1609-40 which is apparently 8'3" long so ill have to get my tape measure out tomorrow to see if i can fit it in the gap. i dont know the serial number but i could find it out if you want me to.
Its nice to hear that Rolls Royce are still using machines like this today on tops of/ instead of the new fantasy CNC machines
Many Thanks James
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th October 2015, 09:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

The Dean Smith & Grace sold for £986 tonight.

There is a CVA Lathe on Ebay right now, as suggested by Mark Rigg earlier in the thread.

CVAs don't come on the market often as they were only made in small numbers and only in one size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1117931347...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th October 2015, 05:35 PM
Engineer

Hi
I sadly see the Dean smith and grace escaping out of my budget, probably would have been a little too big sadly.
The CVA is a bit far away but it looks a nice lathe.
Im in no huge rush as ive got plenty to do on LS before i start needing a lathe so ill just keep my eyes peeled.
Does anyone know anywhere else to look for lathes except the obvious couple (ebay, gumtree and back of OG)
Thanks James