Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2012, 09:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown
Default EATES Road Run Sudbury, Suffolk 11/12 August

The East Anglian Traction Engine Society is holding a road run this year around the Sudbury, Suffolk area on 11th & 12th August. We will be based at Simon Webb’s yard in Acton near Sudbury in Suffolk. On the Saturday we will steam a total of around 18 miles, going from the yard, through the old market town of Sudbury, to Ashley Cooper’s museum in Gestingthorpe. Here there is a wealth of information and artefacts ranging from Roman villas, right through the ages to agricultural bygones and local history. We will stop here before lunch to have a look around.

From the museum we will trundle a little further up the road into the village itself, passing the church, to the Pheasant pub in Gestingthorpe, where we will take lunch.

After lunch we will steam back into Sudbury, heading towards the delightful village of Long Melford. From Long Melford we steam the last mile or so back to the yard. After bedding the engines down, there is the choice of many local restaurants and pubs within a couple of miles of the yard. Many of us are hoping to travel into Sudbury for dinner, and to enjoy the evening together.

On Sunday, participants have the choice of trundling locally, or steaming to Hawker Restoration Ltd in Milden, a round trip of around 12 miles. Here they restore vintage aircraft, and have kindly allowed us to have a look around. This will be a rare opportunity to see some iconic aircraft in the process of restoration. Lunch will be taken on our return to the yard at the pub in either Little Waldingfield or Acton.

We are hoping that this should be a really fun road run, and we encourage our members, and others to come out to take part and witness this event. For those of you who want to enter an engine, please contact Kevin Baldwin at the earliest opportunity to secure a place on the run. Also, those of you who wish to help make this run a first-class event, feel free to contact Kevin. We look forward to hearing from you.

All are welcome to come along be you spectator or exhibitor. If anyone wants to make a late entry please contact me by PM and I'll pass your details onto the organiser.

A map of the route can be found here - http://www.eates.org/images/Route_map2.pdf
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th August 2012, 04:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Robin Marshman

Hoping to come up to this event on Saturday to take some photos! Anyone know how many engines are on the run?
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th August 2012, 05:16 PM
Engineer

I should have a list up tonight or tomorrow
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2012, 11:31 AM
Engineer

Righto, here's the list of whats entered.

Aveling & Porter Roller 2149 'The Old Girl'
Clayton & Shuttleworth Traction Engine 32900
Aveling & Porter Roller 9146
Aveling & Barford Roller AC621
Wallis & Stevens Tractor 'Loki'
Burrell Showmans 3926 'Margaret'
Burrell Showmans Tractor 3433 'Peter Pan' (Provisional)
Foster Showmans Tractor 14589 'Lord of the Isles'
Fowler Roller 16235 'Highlander'
Sentinel Wagon 6887 'Vectis Knight'
Fowler Tractor 15632
Foden D Type 14078 'Mighty Atom'
Fowler Showmans 14425 'Carry On'

Also various Models, Tractors, Lorries, and Cars are expected and most welcome to pop along. Please get in touch if you'd like to join in
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2012, 11:57 AM
Engineer

Full Name: mark vine

Just polishing the Scammell up ready for the run as you read this.

Mark.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2012, 09:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Garwood
Default Road Run Route

For those interested, the route on Saturday is as follows.

[IMG][/IMG]

For a better quality map go to the EATES website where you can down load a pdf of the route.

http://www.eates.org/images/Route_map2.pdf

http://www.eates.org/images/Route_map2.pdf

Us slower vehicles are planning on leaving from around 8.30 with the aim for us all getting to Gestingthorpe for about 11.00. Then the odd stop for lunch etc and back to Long Melford for around 4.00. Should be a good day out. Hope to see some of you there. Come and say hello.

Matt
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2012, 10:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mark Pybus
Default I Dont Believe it!!

AAAAGH.....Bugger! Would you Adam & Eve it, Self, 'er indoors and the two lurchers were only down that way last week! We were staying with the wifes Auntie who lives in the next village to Gestingthorpe, Little Yeldham! I wouldnt mind but we were all over Sudbury a week ago and when we visited the Museum of East Anglian Life at Stowmarket and got talking engines we were invited to their steam do this coming weekend as well! To think if I stayed another week we could have had engines passing the front door almost!! You lucky people, its a beautiful part of the world. I didnt realise that there were so many TT'ers and steamers so close by to a relative, will have to try and catch you all and this again next year. I lost count of the number of times we drove through Gestingthorpe, past the church and the hall last week, Im afraid I have never heard of the Ashton Cooper museum, what is it, pardon my 'hignorance'!

Unfortunately, I am merely a flat capped lurcher owning Northener, sans Ferrets he adds hastily! At least we have got a fine weekend for the local rally this weekend.........hey ho!!

Mark.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th August 2012, 07:47 PM
Engineer

Just got back from Suffolk, had a great day! Weather was a bit misty at first but by lunch time it was all blue sky and sunshine! Will put my photos up tomorrow!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th August 2012, 08:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: mark vine

Here is a small taster of todays event. more to follow.

Mark.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th August 2012, 09:05 PM
Engineer

Mark, i was the lad standing next to you in Sudbury taking photos next to you! Great photos! Was a geeat day, the sun really did come out and shine! Im very burnt now!