Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th December 2012, 08:55 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.
Smile West Suffolk Country Fair Rougham Airfield.

Just had a invite from Oakleigh Fairs who are the new organizers of this event (formally known as Wings Wheels and Steam) that was held at Rougham Air Field (and ran by the Late Sir John Agnew).

The seam to be commercial event organizers, and are responsible for lots of different shows, but I know several people miss the old Rougham Air Field events.

steam entry forms here http://www.oakleighfairs.co.uk/2013/Steam2013.doc.

other show related entry forms here http://www.oakleighfairs.co.uk/2013/Car2013.doc

this is the letter from the invite i have been emailed.

Dear Steam Enthusiast,

OAKLEIGH FAIRS’ 2013 EVENTS

We are pleased to bring out our 2013 programme and feel that it offers a wonderful range of geography, splendour and pullability.

You will see that this year we are not running a standalone steam rally but we are running a variety of events including the West Suffolk Game and Country Show at Rougham Airfield on the same weekend as the old Wings, Wheels and Steam Show which has a good history of attendance by steam engines. The engines are given a pretty free rein to have much fun all in a totally informal way – weather dependent.

At each show we will provide water and an area for camping.

Expenses will be as follows:

£125 per day per full size engine
£50 per day for scale engines

We hope you find this acceptable and will of course pay participants in cash at the event. Engines will be able to arrive the day before the show and may stay until the day after. If you would like to take part please complete the attached form and send it back to us.

Please return to:
Oakleigh Fairs
Thrift Farm House, Horkesley Hill, Nayland
Colchester, Essex CO6 4JP

With kind regards,
Charlie Owen – Show Organiser

PS – PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD – MORE ENGINES WELCOME

Lets hope it will be a good show

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th December 2012, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hines

James, im holding out for a new, more exciting rally replacing rougham a little further up the road towards your neck of the woods on the same weekend!!!!!! thats where i will be!!
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st December 2012, 08:34 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Tell more stu!
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st December 2012, 10:13 AM
Engineer

Default "new, more exciting rally"?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
James, im holding out for a new, more exciting rally replacing rougham a little further up the road towards your neck of the woods on the same weekend!!!!!! thats where i will be!!
well if the organizers of this other show don't pull their socks up and tell people about this "new, more exciting rally" then how will any one be able to arrange to go let alone know about it. If you know the details, tell us then Stuart.

Any preconceptions about this "West Suffolk Country Fair" should be put to one side for the time being, The only part Rougham Estate in this from what I can tell is to be supplying the event venue.

I forget who said it now, but the phrase "Early to bed, Early to Rise, no dam good if you don't advertise" comes to mind.

I've already attended one so called "replacement rally" for rougham at Stoneham barns, (incorporating the mid and west Suffolk shows) with Natel Taylor, Ernie Eagle (with both his full size and half size) myself (with working demo) and 2 model engines. That was it for the steam section and was held the weekend after Long Melford Rally. It was Dubbed Rougham's replacement by several of the old crew from Rougham Inc Jean Wattling (commentator), Brian James (stalls) and several other old Rougham Crew.

As for a "more exciting rally" I always find this depends on where my friends are. A excellent show professionally organized and paying well may be a good show, but I always have more fun at a show where many of my friends are there and where we can have natters and tails during the day and a friendly drink, and joke in the evening.

So where is this "new, more exciting rally" and when will we hear more details about it? The longer time ticks one the more time people have to drift away and book into other shows. My own personal feeling is it is always polite of a show orgainzer to give exhibitors between 6 and 4 mouths notice of show dates etc, and this is what I attempt at Langley and Raveningham (entry forms will be out early in the new year)

#5  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st December 2012, 03:15 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Arthur Carpenter

Nice to see something might be replacing the Rougham event as I think the late organiser worked hard to make it what it was. I would certainly go as a visitor as its only 15 miles down the road.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st December 2012, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson

Best bit of Rougham used to be the worst beer tent in the east (with the best beer) and Stuart I guess will agree the route through to Melford. Tempeted but thinking of going north next year with the Garrett
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st December 2012, 10:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hines

Hugh, i quite agree that the route through to Melford has to be one of the best trips of the year!!
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th March 2013, 07:51 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Tony James

Oakleigh Fairs' West Suffolk Country Fair at Rougham is on Saturday/Sunday June 29/30

Take a look at their website to see the size and scope of their operation.

www.oakleighfairs.co.uk/

I've known and worked with them for many years presenting my Traditional Punch & Judy. Charlie Owen is a great and efficient organiser and everyone at Oakleigh smiled throughout last season, in spite of the rain and mud. Amazingly the people came and stood and watched everything that was going on. Sometimes not as many as we had hoped. All their shows are well advertised but you can't really turn the weather.

And at every show, Charlie smiled and paid graciously.

You can't ask for more.

I shall be at Rougham in June and at a number of Oakleigh Fairs' other events

Hope to see you there.

Tony James
Traditional Punch & Judy
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th June 2013, 08:18 AM
Engineer

This Weekend.

Tags
air, rougham, suffolk, wings