Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th June 2012, 09:55 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills
Default Rallying in the Czech Republic... sort of.

Last week, we drove to the Czech Republic in a gaggle of knackered old Land Rovers and as part of the weekend's fun we attended the 'Great Grandfather's Tractor' event at the Museum of Farming Machinery at Čáslav (http://www.nzm.cz/en/caslav/).

This was mainly a showcase of the museum's exhibits but there were also visitors from other museums and enthusiasts. Mostly tractors - and some very interesting ones - but there were some engines there too, both in steam and on static display in the museum's sheds.

This portable was gorgeous. It's a Kratky, no. 1370 of 1916. No, I hadn't heard of them before, but luckily I packed my Euro TER

It ran like a watch and the bloke driving it spoke just enough English to confirm it was a 'nice engine'.

Trundling around was this Zettelmeyer roller, I didn't jot the number down but she was 1936 I think. Single crank compound piston valve and sounded quite nice.

Also in steam was this freelance ploughing engine of sorts, very ingenious construction with dog clutches for drive and winching and car conrods used for the water pump drive.

Plinthed-up boiler.

The stuff in the museum sheds was amazing, all sorts of unfamiliar makers and the amount of machinery in original paintwork was incredible. Here's a few snaps

Now check out this thing.

It's a Ceskomoravska-Kolben (CMK) type V 15 tonner and it is bloody huge. You could throw a party on the footplate. Didn't look like it had been steamed for years and there were a few bits missing.

A lot of the tractors were in action, with little or no H&S in evidence it has to be said! Great fun.

Now I had done my homework before leaving and I knew there were a pair of Fowler ploughing engines on site. The museum appeared very proud of them and they appear on a lot of merchandise and posters around the museum.

Eventually we found them, getting decent pictures was very difficult as they are well packed in and look like they have been there for years. According to the Euro TER they are a Z4 and Z5 from 1909, certainly big old girls and very interesting.

Highly recommended if you ever find yourself in CZ....!! We did plan on visiting a Fowler roller in Beuron but ran out of time, we did however find a derelict narrow gauge railway at a campsite near Zwickau in the former East Germany. A good trip!
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th June 2012, 10:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

By the way I think the roller may be owned or something to do with the chap who bought one of the Thursford rollers and who is a TT member. Unfortunately I didn't realise this until I got home so if he reads this apologies for not saying hello!
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th June 2012, 09:00 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Clive R Flack

Presume the Fowler's wouldn't fit in the Landy, Kev????
Thanks for posting these. You have made my day!!

Last edited by AllSteamedUp; 12th June 2012 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Senile moment