Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th December 2013, 10:34 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Phil Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
And no doubt the turret is made from prototypically correct armour plate as well.
And the guns are scale fully working weapons with the correct armour piercing rounds for the main gun!

So why do i not enter my engine in a competition class at the Midlands show? answer you are at the mercy of possibly biased judges who put a model that only looks correct externally over another that is spot and uses true to prototype materials, but has comercially fitted vulcanised tyres and a professionally made pressure vessel.
Some years ago at IIRC Donnington an absolutely beautiful standard BR 4MT tank was discounted in the competion class it was in, because the castings were comercially available not home made castings/fabrications or chomped from solid, the builder had even made his own scale size and face detail vacuum & pressure gauges, as well as all the other boiler fittings. My thoughts were that somebody had actually shrunk a full size engine down with majic, such was the accuracy of the minature to the prototype.
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th December 2013, 10:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hall
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterGP6NHP View Post
beautiful standard BR 4MT tank was discounted in the competition class it was in, because the castings were commercially available
While not for or against the judges decision, the carcass for this tank is in fact a commercial kit.

Dave chatted to the bloke and had to shake his hand as the workmanship in building the running V12 and gearbox from scratch was he said second to none, but I do believe the kit (main body + wheels and tracks) is an Armourtech one as Dave has the same one in the workshop.

I missed the show

Nick