Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Carl Byrne
Default Colchester Student lathe

I have a Colchester Student lathe in 3 phase. It is currently on the back of my lorry under a sheet and oiled. I was planning to keep it but I am now thinking about selling it on. It has a 3-jaw chuck (both sets of jaws) and a travelling steady. It has wear from use but it has not been flogged to death. It was used by the same tool maker for 20 years until he retired last year. It does NOT have a taper turning attachment. It was fitted with full guarding which was removed prior to me getting it. The wires to the interlocks were merely cut through so these either need to be permanently joined or removed from the control box all together - a straightforward job. The coolant pump was working 12 months ago when the lathe was last used - it may need cleaning now, together with the suds tank. I think I am correct in saying that it does not have a clutch - the control lever on the front switches the motor in forward and reverse.

It is basically complete and fully working with a quiet headstock. It is the model where the lever on the saddle slides left/right before engaging surfacing or traverse feeds. The bed is good and much of the play in the axes could be adjusted out. The paintwork is fairly good, completely original, and the darker green version. It would make a good first lathe for someone.

It has a gap.

I want £500 for it. I can get this by breaking it, selling the key parts and weighing the rest of it in for scrap - something that really goes against the grain for me. Drop me a message if you are interested with your email address and I will send you some pictures - once I take them - it was wet all day today.

Cheers Carl.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:52 PM
Engineer

Collection would be from Cardiff. I can load to your transport.

Cheers Carl.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th December 2017, 09:13 PM
Engineer

Some pictures taken today.

There is some play in the cross slide screw/nut. A seller on eBay will supply a new nut for around £60. The slideways could do with adjusting but overall it is the basis for a good solid machine. It's complete and everything works including the light.

Contact me if you want any other information.

Cheers Carl
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th December 2017, 09:45 PM
Engineer

It now has an original 4-sided toolpost & compound slide fitted. The original T-slotted compound slide will be included so that the buyer could fit a QC toolpost.

Cheers Carl.

#5  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd December 2017, 10:42 AM
Engineer

Lathe has now gone to a good home.

Cheers Carl.