Old 14th May 2011, 06:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Does the foden have a flywheel brake?
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th May 2011, 06:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Dave, what do you think the band over the flywheel is?
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th May 2011, 11:55 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
The reason he asked was because he saw it.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th May 2011, 07:06 PM
Engineer

I recall that when George Lea had it that it was the only brake, I hope D Valve will correct me if I'm wrong. It lost the rear axle brakes when it was put on pneaumatics by Parky Bates.

Has it got anything else now?
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 15th May 2011, 07:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: simon caudwell

Quote:
I recall that when George Lea had it that it was the only brake, I hope D Valve will correct me if I'm wrong. It lost the rear axle brakes when it was put on pneaumatics by Parky Bates.

Has it got anything else now?
It still had the band brake working on the back axle too, but was missing the expanding shoe brakes that used to work on the rear wheel drums. The foot brake pedal was connected to it as well as the screw on brake handle, so it was reasonably effective. Flywheel brakes should be used with care on a Foden! Great for close work with a foot pedal to work it though.
I made new front wheels to the correct pattern and had all the drawings etc ready for the rears and brake gear etc. I gather that both owners since me planned to keep it on pneumatics. When Parky Bates hacked it about and put it on pneumatics the drive hubs were fixed to the axle so the ability to pull the pins and use the rear winch was lost. I planned to put it back to solids as for me part of the attraction of a D type is to be able to use the winch. I prefer originality too.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2011, 01:48 PM
Engineer

Full Name: J. Lea

I would say Parky converted 13222 around 1959-60, I have a picture of her taken at the 1957 Chester le Street rally still riding on her original solid tyred wheels. When we brought her home and came to back her into the shed we found that Parky had also welded the compensating gear to the axle when he carried out the conversion to pneumatics.

When the paint work was rubbed down the original Chocolate livery and yellow lining detail could be made out from when she was new to S Darke & Sons. I would say she had done a lot of winching in her commercial days by the amount of wear in the rear axle, there is a picture of her with her winch rope out in Richard Willcox book “Traction Engine Archive” Vol Two on page 75 when with Francis Grover.

She was much faster when she had the “C” type gears fitted, the “D” Types were of course lower geared than the wagons and geared down on the rear sprocket as well, usually being fitted with a 12 tooth on the stud shaft and a 32 or 33 on the rear axle whereas the 6 ton wagons often had a 12 or 13 on the stud shaft and usually a 30 on the rear axle or sometimes a 28 but they were inclined to suffer on the hills when fitted with a 28.

When we asked about them we were told that all the original wheels had been sent for scrap shortly after the conversion by Parky Bates.

The other “D” type wheels that he removed were from the ex John Aldersons Foden, this had already been put into wagon form but she had retained her “D”type wheels up to I would say around 1965-66, he also gave this one the chop to the wheels. Jack Crabtree did manage to save the front wheels to go under the front of his “D” Type but the rear wheels had been weighed in for scrap before they could be saved.
Perhaps one day this ex “D” Type might be put back to her former self as she was despatched from Elworth.

The Foden wagon that is now with Dovey's also went through Parky's hands, this one he chopped the chassis down and put a recovery style body on it, I was told at the time he did this for road tax purposes.

The Ex Tom Varley Foden was another which if I remember correctly was converted by Parky into tractor form and put onto pneumatics with no springs fitted to the rear axle, does anyone know who has this wagon now? the last I heard it was in Canada.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2011, 02:08 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-valve View Post
The Foden wagon that is now with Dovey's also went through Parky's hands, this one he chopped the chassis down and put a recovery style body on it, I was told at the time he did this for road tax purposes.
Here she is in 1967, (13316) I've chosen the black and white photo, the colour one hurts the eyes, bright red with pale yellow wheels, typical Parky Bates paint.

I assume they were re-registered as agricultural tractors? cheaper road tax.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2011, 02:48 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Trystan Jones

Funnily enough - the valve gear off this one is all sat on the workshop bench, having been reconditioned.
It's about to go back to the owners for refitting for this weekend.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th May 2011, 05:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: J. Lea

Thanks Hedd, I remember Milwards bringing her to Church Stretton they were having pump trouble with it, they didn't keep it for long.

I also remember Cyril Bishop showing us the old drivers name that had been carved into the back of the cab,when it was parked up at the side of the road just over the stream at Bishaps, perhaps she had been left there after the rally. I know Mike Salmon was very fed up at the time the way Parky had chopped and shortened the chassis.

Do you know if the ex John Alderson's Foden still has the winch drum on the back axle, at least Parky left this on 13222 when he carried out the conversion.

He was very good with a paint brush!
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th May 2011, 10:31 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Nicks right, thats why I asked, hahaha

Tags
foden, statfold barn railway, steam scenes